Compiling on Debian Wheezy

More
19 Aug 2013 18:07 - 19 Aug 2013 20:42 #37839 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy
Hi

You need to compile 3.5.7 in /usr/src and leave it there. Create a symlink to the directory just called /usr/src/linux.
It replaces the need for any headers

Fetch the CVS of magma to /usr/src too

Boot to the 3.5.7 kernel and go to /usr/src/magma

You need to do make menuconfig, don't use configure directly

Set number of processors, maths support and C99 support then exit and save, configure will run automatically
It will find kconfig etc in your compiled source for 3.5.7

It should then build OK

PS
Be aware there may be some problems at the moment with the the magma and RTAI (ShabbyX) repos
I am currently hitting errors that were marked as fixed a long time back and one particular one that was fixed 2 weeks back has re-occured
Last edit: 19 Aug 2013 20:42 by ArcEye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2013 21:09 #37853 by tatel
Replied by tatel on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy
OK, got it.

This time I'm getting a lot of errors about /usr/src/magma/base/math/e_acos.c: missing header files and undeclared functions, I think I probably disabled c99 when compiling my kernel.

Time to study the config you kindly provided and try again.

Thank you very much, your hints are helpful and saved quite a lot of trouble.

Best wishes,

More
19 Aug 2013 22:11 #37854 by ArcEye

I'm getting a lot of errors about /usr/src/magma/base/math/e_acos.c: missing header files and undeclared functions, I think I probably disabled c99 when compiling my kernel.

That is because /asm /bits /sys and /gnu were moved into another directory in /usr/include

Try this repo, will be interesting to see if it builds OK for you, as I used it recently and it worked perfectly, but today with fresh pull on a Uni-Processor build, I am having lots of problems
git clone github.com/ShabbyX/RTAI RTAI

More
20 Aug 2013 08:11 #37866 by tatel
Well, it's done with that new repository. I like the README.INSTALL that comes in it, it's the first I have seen that gives hints about the entire process, including kernel compilation

First, I'm building for uniprocessor, too.

It gives the very same errors about that acos file that magma. . Needed to disable mathfuns to get it compiled.

After installing, I tried that:

tatel@errota:/usr/realtime/testsuite/kern/latency$ ./run
* Type ^C to stop this application.
[sudo] password for tatel:
Error: could not insert module /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_hal.ko: Operation not permitted
ERROR: cannot load /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_hal.ko
Error: could not insert module /usr/realtime/modules/latency_rt.ko: Unknown symbol in module
ERROR: cannot load /usr/realtime/modules/latency_rt.ko
Warning: Error opening /proc/rtai/latency_calibrate
Couldn't get infos about the module's state.
Error opening /dev/rtf3

Funny thing is, even as root I can't load rtai_hal.ko, let alone that unknown symbol in latency_rt.ko

Kernel is 3.5.7, it compiled fine with pristine sources and your config file

tatel@errota:~$ uname -a
Linux errota 3.5.7-rtai #1 PREEMPT Mon Aug 19 22:48:32 CEST 2013 i686 GNU/Linux

Where can I get that unified build? I want to test performance with stock rt-preempt kernels and RTAI

regards,

More
20 Aug 2013 11:51 #37867 by tatel
Finally I got linuxcnc compiled... against stock debian rt-preempt kernel

I did follow wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Debian...-Rt_Compile_LinuxCNC

linuxcnc source was origin/rtos-integration-preview3-merged-into-master

Needed to do ./configure --with-tclConfig=/usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --with-tkConfig=/usr/lib/tk8.5/tkConfig.sh --with threads=rt-preempt-user

also needed dev packages for libudev and libboost-python

And it needs gcc4.6

Now I can run latency-test, but when invoking linuxcnc it fails with errors abount being not able to get parallel port...

Well, I don't gave up with rtai, but it seems that it will need some more time. This seems to be a very fast-moving target! I hope this will be fixed soon, then I'll save that working code.

Time to sleep

regards

More
20 Aug 2013 15:38 #37873 by ArcEye
Hi

It gives the very same errors about that acos file that magma. . Needed to disable mathfuns to get it compiled.

That will compile because you have removed the need for the dependencies, but it will not run, maths needs to be enabled

I am having big problems with a uni-processor build currently and have pending queries with the rtai list regards it

Now I can run latency-test, but when invoking linuxcnc it fails with errors abount being not able to get parallel port...

Different issue altogether

Need to remove the loadrt hal_parport lines probably

regards

More
20 Aug 2013 18:53 #37882 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Compiling on Debian Wheezy

This _might_ be related to the " --enable-portable-parport" configuration switch (though I actually suspect not).

It is more likely to be a less specific and more common problem that lp has grabbed the parport at boot, and needs to be blacklisted.

More
20 Aug 2013 19:07 #37883 by ArcEye
I have found that when testing the ubc-1 using existing sims, I need to comment out anything to do with parport or it will not run
The old master would just ignore what it could not do and run whether a parport existed or not.

Depends what the error actually said, but as we don't know, or what he was trying to run, real machine or sim, it could be either or something else entirely :)

More
20 Aug 2013 21:49 #37891 by ArcEye
tatel

I have now built a SMP version of 3.5.7-rtai and a Uni-processor version too, which seems to work very well.

There is a query regards the RTAI / magma repos and whether they were altered by a recent commit.
I will be testing that tomorrow, for now have used copies of previous pulls.

If you PM me, I can send you a URL for the configs and a zipped copy of the pulls.

You may have to bear with me for a bit, one of my email servers has gone down at present

regards

More
21 Aug 2013 07:42 #37912 by tatel

It is more likely to be a less specific and more common problem that lp has grabbed the parport at boot, and needs to be blacklisted.

You are right, of course. I'm running linuxcnc now

Best regards

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds