Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

14 Sep 2023 19:13

Debian 11 with X32 or X64 software from RaspberryPi imager?

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

drive.google.com/file/d/11FDs7H5EUx2_eSr...VDQ/view?usp=sharing

Prebuilt Rpi 4 image based on Debian Bookworm, you’ll need at least a 16gb card.
User: cnc
Password: cnc
14 Sep 2023 16:58

Debian 11 with X32 or X64 software from RaspberryPi imager?

I followed instructions "Installing LinuxCNC 2.9 on Debian 11" successfully upto debuild -uc -us. The attachment shows the failure around "line 1182". Had that check been OK , the next three files to be installed with Gedbi, were not in build directory or anywhere I could find. There were some "uspace files" but name was incorrect.

The DEB file didn't show itself above the build file. There was debian file but not a DEB.
     Question is:
X32 or X64 software?
2.8 or 2.9 LinuxCNC?

This was the most sucessful tease I have had in a year or more trying to install LinuxCNC.
Thanks for your review. 
13 Sep 2023 18:07

Debian Buster 10 + Linuxcnc + Ethercat + ISO cd Download 1.7 GB

Category: Computers and OS's

Hi All,
I am about to start bringing up a new machine next month and getting my resources all together.
I will try using the most recent ISO that was posted here, but it leads me to ask the question "Is there a plan to include the EtherCAT support into the standard download"?

I'd love to see this happen instead of relying on frozen builds (forgive my ignorance if there is an easy way to upgrade once installed on a machine - my experience with Linux doesn't go much further than what I have learned getting LinuxCNC up and running).

I suspect the EtherCAT support would make the Raspberry Pi build work quite well too as it would eliminate the need for external Mesa Boards and the configuration that entails.

Best Regards,
Paul
11 Sep 2023 15:01
Replied by Aciera on topic Why so difficult?

Why so difficult?

Category: QtPyVCP

Disregard this as it is for RaspberryPi
sudo apt install linux-image-rt-arm64 linux-headers-rt-arm64
10 Sep 2023 20:56

Jogging at a certain angle (lathe mode)?

Category: General LinuxCNC Questions

I’m working on the Raspberry Pi so probably won’t be any good to you unless you’re using one as well.
10 Sep 2023 13:51

RPI4 Raspbian 64 bit & LinuxCNC

Created file 90-gpio-access
SUBSYSTEM=="bcm2711-gpiomem", GROUP="gpio", MODE="0660" SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", GROUP="gpio", MODE="0660" SUBSYSTEM=="gpio*", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c '\ chown -R root:gpio /sys/class/gpio && chmod -R 770 /sys/class/gpio;\ chown -R root:gpio /sys/devices/virtual/gpio && chmod -R 770 /sys/devices/virtual/gpio;\ chown -R root:gpio /sys$devpath && chmod -R 770 /sys$devpath\ '"

SUBSYSTEM=="pwm*", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c '\ chown -R root:gpio /sys/class/pwm && chmod -R 770 /sys/class/pwm;\ chown -R root:gpio /sys/devices/platform/soc/.pwm/pwm/pwmchip && chmod -R 770 /sys/devices/platform/soc/.pwm/pwm/pwmchip\

I am assuming this is a udev rule ???

I done the following :
sudo groupadd gpio
sudo cp 90-gpio-access /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/
sudo chmod +x /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-gpio-access
sudo usermod -aG gpio cnc
reboot

I started linuxcnc in terminal with following output :
cnc@raspberrypi:~$ /usr/bin/linuxcnc /home/cnc/linuxcnc/configs/sim.axis/axis_mm.ini
LINUXCNC - 2.10.0~pre0
Machine configuration directory is '/home/cnc/linuxcnc/configs/sim.axis'
Machine configuration file is 'axis_mm.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
linuxcnc TPMOD=tpmod HOMEMOD=homemod EMCMOT=motmod
Waiting for component 'tpmod' to become ready.......Waited 3 seconds for master.  giving up.
.Note: Using POSIX realtime

Found file(lib): /usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/core_sim.hal
Found file(lib): /usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/sim_spindle_encoder.hal
Found file(lib): /usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/axis_manualtoolchange.hal
Found file(lib): /usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/simulated_home.hal
Found file(REL): ./cooling.hal
task: main loop took 0.027656 seconds
task: main loop took 0.019169 seconds
note: MAXV     max: 53.340 units/sec 3200.400 units/min
note: LJOG     max: 53.340 units/sec 3200.400 units/min
note: LJOG default: 30.480 units/sec 1828.800 units/min
note: jog_order='XYZ'
note: jog_invert=set()
task: main loop took 0.012626 seconds
task: main loop took 0.011122 seconds
task: main loop took 0.010243 seconds
task: main loop took 0.012159 seconds
task: main loop took 0.017321 seconds
task: main loop took 0.010607 seconds
task: main loop took 0.011524 seconds
task: main loop took 0.012778 seconds

I am using GPIO 20 for output and GPIO 5 for input, still nothing.
07 Sep 2023 10:05

Once the source of a package is zipped up and sent to debian, it goes into sid branch and their buildbots make debs for every supported architecture (including the Pi). then after its proven to be safe, it moves into testing branch. Every couple of years, Debian makes a new stable release from testing branch. Once an application gets into the stable release it is locked and does not changed. Debian Bookworm (version 12) is the release branch. Because Linuxcnc has its own buildbot and repositories, you can add those to the apt system. This is what my X86 installer does automatically. Then when it does an upgrade, it will grab the very latest debs of linuxcnc.

But that buildbot is unable to build the debs for the Pi so the only option is to build from source to update linuxcnc. Its my hope that this installer could be hooked into the buildbot system and produce an image and updated debs for the pi whenever the code base is changed. But I am not a decision maker, I am just trying to remove some roadblocks.

So Debian 12 was released on the 6.1 kernel. Further to Cornholio's comments, we need the Preempt-rt patch from kernel.org. This can be found at kernel.org mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.1/
Each version of the Linux kernel goes through a number of releases. the latest RT patch you can see it is 6.1.46 
This patch is used to update the ordinary kernel code and compiled to get a PREEMPT_RT kernel. But it needs to be applied to the same version to guarantee reliable operation. The Raspberry Pi kernel repo has advanced to 6.1.51 so we can't use the very latest. Instead we searched the git tree and found the commit where the 6.1.46 kernel was merged into the raspberry kernel. So this is the base code we retrieve in the installer and we have copied the RT patch into a folder in the installer which first applies our patch, the builds the kernel, followed by a root file system and linuxcnc and turns it into an image. Because the linux kernel has now advanced up to 6.5, its unlikely the patch will change, so this should last for a long time. Except for the need to update linuxcnc.
07 Sep 2023 06:06 - 07 Sep 2023 06:14

I thought the "normal" Raspberian style would use rpi-imager www.raspberrypi.com/software/
Balena Etcher is also an alternative which runs on any platform and is way faster than dd

Getting a little OT but rpi-imager/etcher is primarily a means to create a bootable SD Card from a .img file. I was talking about migrating a live system running on an SD Card to a USB SSD on a RPi and yes there are pretty, gui ways of doing this in Raspian World for people that can't spell dd :) :) :)

Back on topic; as LinuxCNC is an official part of Debian Bookworm, given a bootable Bookworm for the RPi (which Cornholio seems to have given us; thank you) going forward users would just "apt update", "apt upgrade" to get the latest official LinuxCNC release and life is good (even then why would you if it's all working? My Mill is happily running on 2.8.0-pre1 of 2016 vintage :)).

There isn't really a need to generate new .img files that I can see until, possibly, Trixie comes along in a couple of years time with a different kernel; and even then a dist-upgrade might work (note to Cornholio: should there be a repo in sources.list for the rt kernel?).

So thanks to both yourself and Cornholio. I now have LinuxCNC 2.9 on Bookworm on my RPi with which to continue my lathe conversion.

06 Sep 2023 20:07

How can I optimize latency for LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4B with Debian12?

You are fine.
Following the getting linuxcnc process as you first did gives you a Debian kernel and a fairly old snapshot of Linuxcnc and it will not give you access to the on board gpio due to a bug. That has been fixed but until Coenholio and I started building an image in the last week, you had to compile linuxcnc to get the changes.

But It will work for  ethercat as you don't need gpio then.

Cornholio's build is current, it uses the Raspberry kernel and includes updates that let you get to the gpio and even spi if thats a requirement.
It will be interesting to get your feedback on latency between the two kernels.
If i was using ethercat, I would not bother about gpio and use an ethercat I/O module
In that case, this is a better latency test as it only benchmarks the servo thread.
latency-histogram --nobase --sbins 1000

I don't use a pi with linucnc and I was really asking a question to the group why do we need software stepping on the pi?
06 Sep 2023 18:47

The 'normal' Raspian stylee dd from the SDCard to a USB SSD doesn't result in a bootable USB device but sticking Cornholio's .img on a USB SSD does boot... but didn't auto-resize the root partition :-( a parted and resize2fs sorted that (no not idea but it worked!).

I thought the "normal" Raspberian style would use rpi-imager www.raspberrypi.com/software/
Balena Etcher is also an alternative which runs on any platform and is way faster than dd
06 Sep 2023 14:07 - 06 Sep 2023 14:08
Replied by Donno on topic Mesa modbus and pktUart

Mesa modbus and pktUart

Category: Other User Interfaces

I am using linuxCNC 2.9pre on raspberry i build latetest build and copied hostmot2.so and hm2_eth.so to make pktuart to work, could that cause problems ?
06 Sep 2023 12:30

Sorry there. My intention is to get this accepted as the official rpi builder for linuxcnc to replace this old one github.com/LinuxCNC/raspberrypi-linux  I don't think its even 64 bit. But ideally, it will be fully configured, ready to go and just using the user configurable features so there is no hacking into any core scripts.

There has been so many images shared around but some are dated and the build process is never shared and its never been based on the official builder like this one.

I'm building another image for the x86 I have to get back to. Its been reviewed by one of the main developers so it needs a couple of things polished.

But what excites me is  C0nelius upstream has another more generic ARM image builder so I'm keen to gve it a go for my 6 core Odroid N2+ which is gathering dust.
06 Sep 2023 12:03

I think it'll be better to just have one image, support will be easier. Well just my opinion.

We are using the Raspberry Pi repositories. Debian it is! Thats what they give us! Thats what we use!
06 Sep 2023 10:45

How can I optimize latency for LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 4B with Debian12?

Did I fall into a misconception? After the installation of Debian 12 and LinuxCNC, I've spent a significant amount of time dealing with latency and fluctuation issues in the testing software without actually testing it on the machine. If the data shown in the picture doesn't affect subsequent use, then I can proceed confidently to the next step. I might have expressed myself wrongly just now. I will be using GPIO and ethercat in the future. I sincerely apologize.
Displaying 766 - 780 out of 960 results.
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds