Is sheetcam dying?

More
09 Jun 2019 01:06 #136326 by JTknives
Is sheetcam dying? was created by JTknives
I was over on the sheetcam website as I have been tossing around buying it. But then I checked their forums and it looks like the sheetcam updates has been dead since like 2007. I’m a tad concerned investing in somthing that is not being kept up with. Not just talking money but also the time required to become proficient with it. I was concerned when I first visited the site and it looked like it was a time capsule from the late 90s. I’m not saying anything bad about the software or it’s creator. It seams nice and for the most part easy to use. Kinda reminds me of autocad 98. I’m just wondering about it’s life span and is it still being pushed to the leading edge of technology? As good as autocad 98 was, the disk is just sitting in my stack of other defunct software. I would hate to buy into Somthing that’s on its way out that’s all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2019 01:37 #136330 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Is sheetcam dying?
I don't think the software is dying at all. Regular updates are still happening. You might not see them on the forum becasue the software now auto updates as required. Les Newell the owner is active both in the LinuxCNC movement and is approachable by email and is still working on enhancements.

In fact, he's recently offered to write a postprocessor for plasmac and I've been waiting for it to settle down a bit before taking him up on the offer. I'm assuming then that the post will be distributed with Sheetcam once complete.

I think more to the point the forum is hardly necessary as the platform is now very stable. Plus there are now other options for post processing.

More
09 Jun 2019 01:46 #136331 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Is sheetcam dying?
I think the last time my install was updated was about 6 months ago. Regardless of any projected EOL for Sheetcam I have seen nothing close for the price. Les is still active here , on PS, and on the Sheetcam forum so give him a shout if you are in doubt about the future of Sheetcam. Before you abandon plans for Sheetcam be sure and price the lowest cost version of Pronest you can buy. Do I have issues with Sheetcam? Sure but it still does most of what I need for a low one time price. If you mostly do rectilinear engineering work you will never find the import short comings. It has many standard plasma post processors and as far as I know it is the only CAM that has at least 2 working post processors for the Plasmac branch, both Rod and I have them and are willing to share.

John

More
09 Jun 2019 09:07 #136361 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Is sheetcam dying?
it is far the best way to go on 2D and also nice to work with 2,5D
the plugin for the 4th axis engrave laser and plasma is the only one that realy workes in praxis on low cost machines

Attachments:

More
09 Jun 2019 10:56 - 09 Jun 2019 11:04 #136364 by thefabricator03
Replied by thefabricator03 on topic Is sheetcam dying?
For $145 USD you will be hard pressed to find anther CAM software that has the same capabilities as SheetCam,

It really is a very small amount of money for what you can do with the software.

I got a quote from a local Hypertherm reseller here in Australia for Pronest and the lowest end verison they sell costs around $10,000 AUD and the top end version they sell cost around $30,000 AUD.

SheetCams learning curve is not so great compared to most commercial software.

If you want a software with a steep learning curve you should try Tekla Structures, Its a 3D modeling software I use everyday to model steel structures. It has the ability to allow you to auto create workshop drawings directly from a 3d Model. Each license cost $35,000 AUD and the annual subscription cost is $8,000. I can create plates in 3D and export them in .DSTV format straight into SheetCam and have a working .ngc file in a matter of minutes.

For the price you will get a commercial grade CAM program that is just as powerful as CAM programs costing a lot more.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2019 11:04 by thefabricator03.

More
09 Jun 2019 22:33 #136411 by JTknives
Replied by JTknives on topic Is sheetcam dying?
Well i am now the proud owner of a sheet cam license. And its not $145 USD its $175USD

More
09 Jun 2019 23:42 #136426 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Is sheetcam dying?

JTknives wrote: Well i am now the proud owner of a sheet cam license. And its not $145 USD its $175USD

May it produce lots and lots of nice metal art !

More
10 Jun 2019 00:40 #136429 by JTknives
Replied by JTknives on topic Is sheetcam dying?
I did not know this until I paid for it but it says I can only put it one one computer or it will be disabled. This Is crappy especially considering it was not mentioned before I paid. I can see not allowing it to not be on more then one computer that is not in your possession. I was wanting to run a Linux version on my plasma table computer at my shop and a windows version at my house on my pc.

More
10 Jun 2019 00:47 #136431 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Is sheetcam dying?
Try it and see. I have it on multiple PC's including my linuxcnc box

More
10 Jun 2019 02:54 #136437 by thefabricator03
Replied by thefabricator03 on topic Is sheetcam dying?
I would start with these videos from ArcLight Dynamics,

After watching them you should be good to go with anything you need to cut.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds