GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac

More
06 Mar 2020 07:19 #159297 by phillc54
I am beginning to create a dedicated GUI for PlasmaC using QtVCP.

Due to my being graphically challenged I think I will use Jims Silver Dragon as a starting point. Unless someone out there is able to design the GUI look then I will be happy to do all the coding.

If anyone has any ideas of what should be included and/or excluded or any ideas on layout then please feel free to comment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2020 08:22 #159299 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic GUI for PlasmaC - QtPlasmac
I wish I could help but it seems my skills are similar.. It will be awesome when done but I think the hardest part of the project will be to modify the dragon so it can be cut with a plasma cutter! Put that on the issues register before you start!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Mar 2020 08:35 #159300 by phillc54
Haha, I guess a fire breathing dragon is appropriate for a plasma cutter.

I can handle most technical stuff but I don't have a creative bone in my body

More
06 Mar 2020 08:51 #159303 by rodw

I can handle most technical stuff but I don't have a creative bone in my body

Me neither. In a past life, I employed a full time graphic artist so I left it to her

More
06 Mar 2020 10:09 #159308 by tommylight
That is a nice choice.
Now i wonder ( this is the second time ) where is that user that was making some awesome images in Blender, as in Blender.org, not a food blender for making that green abomination called protein shake! :)
As usuall i am here to ..... watch ! :)

More
06 Mar 2020 13:04 #159326 by snowgoer540

I am beginning to create a dedicated GUI for PlasmaC using QtVCP.

Due to my being graphically challenged I think I will use Jims Silver Dragon as a starting point. Unless someone out there is able to design the GUI look then I will be happy to do all the coding.

If anyone has any ideas of what should be included and/or excluded or any ideas on layout then please feel free to comment.

So yesterday I found out that my work was handing out free ice cream from the local creamery, and I thought to myself "this week cant possibly get any better", well that definitely changed.

I'm super excited about this, and while I'm not a graphic designer, and my coding abilities are limited, I can definitely break things, and I have a lot of experience with PathPilot. One thing I will say about Tormach is that they definitely did that right. I never truly appreciated it until I started messing around with the standard Linux GUIs.

At any rate, I am happy to contribute ideas, etc.

Off the cuff, the ability to clear a current program would be nice. In Pathpilot you can do math or enter any value inside the DRO which is handy (zero out the X axis at the edge of the plate, jog to the other side, then type /2 to set the zero point at the center of the length traveled, for example). Also, showing the time in the GUI is pretty convenient when you have the program running full screen.

I am sure I will think of more, but thats just off the cuff.

More
06 Mar 2020 13:37 #159329 by BeagleBrainz
I'm watching even tho I make chips not slag ;)

More
06 Mar 2020 23:00 #159352 by phillc54

Off the cuff, the ability to clear a current program would be nice.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here.

In Pathpilot you can do math or enter any value inside the DRO which is handy (zero out the X axis at the edge of the plate, jog to the other side, then type /2 to set the zero point at the center of the length traveled, for example). Also, showing the time in the GUI is pretty convenient when you have the program running full screen.

Forgive the colours, I have been playing around with stylesheets...

This is how it does the above at the moment

More
07 Mar 2020 00:05 #159355 by rodw
The immediate problem with that is that it drops you out of the nice touch screen interface. But hey, that can be the last thing tackled.
Parsing a calculator string is a perfect example where recursive programming is required.
When I googled "python calculator parser" this link popped up.
gist.github.com/urielha/6c11c29073dddbb9a0b9a1b92c1af3be
Not saying its a good one but it looks like it covers the basics. Just define variables for x,y, z etc that return the current DRO positions.

More
07 Mar 2020 00:16 #159356 by phillc54
I am trying to restrict adding code as much as possible by utilising as much QtVCP infrastructure as possible.

I don't know what a lot of the features are, it is another learning curve.

Is there video available of what Greg was asking?

Or maybe Chris will see this and chime in.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds