(Solved) Need some installation help

More
27 Sep 2021 01:56 #221679 by spumco
I've just installed MXLinux and LCNC per the instructions in the other sub-forum.  So far, so good I think.

I followed the instructions for probe basic installer on the KCJ page.  No errors during installation reported.

Tried to run the Probe Basic sim and got an error (report attached).  Also having problems with a Qtvcp sim, but I'll ignore that for now.

Doing a bit of poking around on the Github site it looks like I need a Run In Place version of LCNC (so it's the latest version?) to run the latest QtPyVcp so I can run Probe Basic screen, but I simply don't understand what any of that means or how to get from Point A to Point B.

I know a bit about machining and CNC controls, but I don't know anything about Linux.  I don't know what all the jargon means (repositories, packages, dependencies?) or how it all fits together.  I am literally just following instructions from various sources and if something goes wrong I have no idea how to start sorting it out.

I could uninstall LCNC if I have the wrong version/flavor, but I don't even know how to uninstall software on a Linux PC.  The only thing I can do at this point is cut-paste gibberish in a terminal, or stick a thumb drive in, grease the PC, and start from scratch again.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me out, either by explaining what I did wrong so I can understand it, or just telling me what steps to take to 'fix' whatever isn't working.  Either is fine.

Thanks,
Ralph

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2021 01:07 #221725 by spumco
Sorry for whining in the last post. I just don't get this stuff even after reading everything I can find and trying a RIP installation so I can use Python3 and the other branch of Probe Basic.

I'll re-install Linux and start over from scratch again with 2.8

More
28 Sep 2021 12:51 #221747 by Lcvette
if you are new to linuxcnc, you should just use the quickstart installation method including the stock linuxcnc debian iso image.. use the quickstart page. what you are trying to install is a development version and it does not seem like you are ready for that just yet maybe..

use the link below and start from scratch and it will take about 20-30 minutes and you'll be done! very simple and bullet proof.

kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html#

More
28 Sep 2021 13:40 #221749 by spumco
Thank you for the reply - and yes, I'm new to Linux.

I tried the 'stock' Debian 2.8.2 ISO after multiple failures with MX/Probe Basic, but the Debian installation failed due to missing network drivers.  I tried d/l the driver files when prompted by Debian, but it couldn't find them on my USB stick.  I don't have a wired ethernet connection available.  So the stock ISO was a no-go.

Tried MX again and substituted the 2.8 buildbot location/files in the synaptics package manager step of the instructions, but that failed during installation of LCNC.

Tried MX again, but substituted the cut/paste instructions from the Mint 20 guide to get 2.8.  That didn't work: errors at the 'sudo apt-add-repository' step.  Don't know if I did something wrong, or if that combination simply doesn't work.

Tried MX again, plus 2.9 RIP (from the MX instruction pdf's), plus the instructions for Python3 on the QtPyVcp page, then the dev installation of Probe Basic.  Got the RIP to work, and QtPyVcp editor started, but Probe Basic didn't work.

So... MX installs fine, and I can get 2.9 working OK with RT kernel, but I don't know how to get the very recent Python3 Probe Basic fork from Github which is (I think) required for 2.9 + PB.

Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough about Linux to do something that isn't spelled out by someone clever.

More
30 Sep 2021 13:58 #221900 by spumco
Final update for posterity.

Note that I have a Win10 LTSC dual-boot arrangement which probably caused some of the headaches.

Objective:
Get MXLinux, LCNC, and Probe Basic screen working

Roadblocks
Basic LCNC Debian ISOs (2.8/2.9) didn't work on my PC due to missing network drivers, but MXLinux installs seamlessly.
MXLinux Installation Guide winds up with LCNC 2.9 and Python3
LCNC 2.9 requires Python3, but the Probe Basic 'normal' installation is not currently compatible with Python3

Solution
MXLinux, LCNC 2.8 w/Python2.xx = compatible w/PB
  • Install MXLinux per installation guide with the following changes
    • On step 10, change to "ESP" instead of "MBR" (I believe this has to do with having Win10 and my particular bios. YMMV)
    • At  Section 7, Step 2, add ":80" to the keyserv cut-paste as none of the keys worked as-is.
      • Should look like sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://pgpkeys.eu:80 --recv-key EF1B07FEE0EE663E
    • Section 7, Steps 11 & 16 - substitute "2.8-rtpreempt" for "master-rtpreempt" for both the 'deb' and 'deb-src' steps.
    • Skip Section 7, Step 35 (i.e. do not install Python3 for QtVcp)
  • At this point LCNC should run, but none of the QtVcp or QtPyVcp screens/GUI's will work.
  • Install QtVCP for 2.8 per Phil's instructions in the QtVCP sub-forum
  • Install QtPyVCP and Probe Basic per the Quick Start Install at kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start.html
  • $$$Profit$$$

Now to figure out how HAL works...
The following user(s) said Thank You: TurBoss, tommylight, KCJ, snowgoer540

More
30 Sep 2021 14:11 #221902 by KCJ
Thanks for posting the exact steps on how you got it working, much appreciated!

More
30 Sep 2021 17:37 #221907 by spumco
I don't know if it really works, but it results in a Probe Basic sim on the screen that acts like it's working and no error messages with a couple of the other sim GUIs I tried.

I suspect that LCNC 'just works' once it's actually working.  Tongue-in-cheek aside, that is not always the case with other software/control schemes.  Rock-solid is not an adjective I'd apply to anything Microsoft.

Thank you for a superb GUI, BTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

Moderators: KCJLcvette
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds