ABS Encoder Posital 7i92T bit file help

More
27 Aug 2023 02:17 #279056 by PCW
You need a real scope to check the clock and data
(halscope can only sample at the servo or base thread,
way too slow for 500 KHz signals)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2023 19:59 #279201 by Doug Crews
Tom , you’re racking up points all the time with me. The most recent was the other day, you helped another member some years ago with a SSERIAL board not communicating. “try another cable” you said. It saved him and you saved me probably hour(s) of troubleshooting the wrong areas. I swapped cords and my sserial board suddenly worked. I don’t know why I had not questioned cat5 cables before. I always question every other connector -cable. So, A Big thanks on that!

More
28 Aug 2023 20:07 #279202 by Doug Crews

You need a real scope to check the clock and data
(halscope can only sample at the servo or base thread,
way too slow for 500 KHz signals)

The clock seems to be working correctly, but the data signal doesn’t anything like a data stream.    I tried inverting both clock & datad but it didn't seem to help.  I’m thinking the encoder is configurable and maybe its last configuration was set at a different clock frequency.   Maybe its not registering the clock pulses.   I’ll contact the distributor to see if there’s a config setting for the clock.   I know they sell a db9 – usb module for configuring and troubleshooting these things.  I might need to get one.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2023 20:13 #279204 by Doug Crews

Comment out this line:

Also the 49 ms latency is _really_ bad so suggests a real time issue with the host
(maybe you don't have
force_turbo=1  in config.txt )

Disabling the base thread in the latency-histogram may give you better results:

latency-histogram --nobase --sbinsize 1000

I included the force_turbo=1  in the config.txt file and ran the latency-histogram with the parameters you provided.I loaded several other apps on the totally bare system evanlo  created.  Mabe I need to go back to bare bones once I finish development.  Do you think it will help Latency?I plan to use servo based systems no steppers.
-Doug

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2023 20:47 #279208 by tommylight

Tom , you’re racking up points all the time with me.

Who, me?
:)
Thank you, too.
Another of those small tricks with ABS encoders is:
Make sure the are powered by a very good power supply.
My case,
12V decent power supply = no work, messy signals
6V older power adapter = worked fine for over 4 years till a surge took it out
now a 9V older power adapter, still working
And for 5 of mine, a minimum of 2A, although i measured at 600-700mA total.
Always regulated power supply, no "transformer" type without regulation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug Crews

More
28 Aug 2023 23:07 - 29 Aug 2023 00:53 #279224 by PCW
The latency looks fine.

SSI encoders should not be sensitive to clock rates
(as long as they are not too fast for the interface)

It looks like the data output it not being driven
which is not normal for a SSI interface. Is it possible
that there is a wiring error or the encoder is set into a
non-SSI mode?

EDIT:

Also your format string does not match the PDF you posted.
The PDF shows a total data length of 41 bits but your format
string only has 16:

ssi_chan_0=xpositol%16me

I would expect something more like:

ssi_chan_0=xpositol%33me%8p

(the 33 bits are 17 bits per turn + 16 bits of turn counts
and 8 pad bits for a total of 41)

Last edit: 29 Aug 2023 00:53 by PCW. Reason: fix duh #s
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Doug Crews

More
30 Aug 2023 16:44 #279394 by Doug Crews
Sorry for the delayed response I had an emergency troubleshoot / repair job that took over.Update on this effort-->Success!Yes, lots of opportunities for a wiring debacle.  Surprisingly, the wiring wasn’t the problem. It was the config string.I remember agonizing over what to put in it.  Knowing that “all bits need to be accounted for” and seeing the 33 bits in the documentation, but I just could not reconcile that against the 16bit resolution and padding bits…well... I just picked one of the two numbers to see if anything would work.  I’m pretty sure I was “channeling” tommylight at that point.   Then after L.cnc came alive I forgot to look back at that decision…very much a me thing.Peter, once again you saved the day.   You make this all possible for us non-computer science guys.  Thank you very much.Tom,   thanks to you too.   The work you have done and shared through the years for us to all see is inspiring. I’ve posted the chopped single axis hal file and some photos of the data channel on the o-scope.  I also confirmed these abs encoders don’t need power to remember their position,  I powered off for 5 minutes then made a 360 deg rotation then powered up and the counts increased accordingly.  Turning the shaft makes enough power to compute and save the position internally,  the “wiegand effect”.I’m going to get some of these on order, currently they have a long(ish) lead time.
-Doug

File Attachment:

File Name: Positalmul...oder.hal
File Size:1 KB

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Aciera

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds