CAM Question

More
21 Aug 2023 21:52 - 22 Aug 2023 00:47 #278653 by krigby
CAM Question was created by krigby
 I need some quidance on going from CAM to Linuxcnc.I have a design (in screenshot) and I want to learn how to get from that deisgn to something I can turn on my lathe.  Do I need to create a siloquette of only part of the siloquette, maybe just the profile of the design?Can I create the profile using G codes?  
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Aug 2023 00:47 by krigby. Reason: Added missing screenshot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2023 00:29 #278660 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CAM Question
No screenshot?
For lathe, probably Inkscape can do, it can export gcode, used it for some 2.5D stuff and we (me and my clients) use it daily for plasma cutting.
If you can not find it in the menus, type in a terminal:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install inkscape
In inkscape, draw the outline, make sure it is a path (in the path menu, path to gcode), then extensions>path to gcode>in one of the tabs tell it where to save the file then go back to first tab and press apply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPL

More
22 Aug 2023 00:30 - 22 Aug 2023 00:31 #278661 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic CAM Question
I will usually first use a CAD program to draw the contour (silhouette) of the parts. Actually only half of it since you only need to draw from the center of rotation. This could be done with many CAD program.

Next step is to 'rotate' the half silhouette around the center line to produce a 3D object. There's many other ways to produce 3D objects but rotating around a center line is very convenient if it is to be made on a lathe.

Once the 3D object is created you will then 'convert' the file to g-code using a CAM program. This process is mostly automated but still require you to choose certain operation (roughing, finishing, facing, profiling et...) and also to specify the tool you want to use.

A very popular program is fusion 360. To have a better idea of the whole process do a google search with 'fusion 360 cam'. There's many video and tutorial about it.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2023 00:31 by JPL.

More
22 Aug 2023 00:37 - 22 Aug 2023 00:45 #278662 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic CAM Question
@Tommy: Didn't knew about inkscape. Thank You!

Also found this video that explain the whole process

QUESTIONS:
- How about the post-processor for linuxcnc?
- Hummm, not tool table it seems?
Last edit: 22 Aug 2023 00:45 by JPL.

More
22 Aug 2023 00:48 #278663 by krigby
Replied by krigby on topic CAM Question
something went wrong uploading the screen shot of the part. I re-attached it, I hope it shows up now.

More
22 Aug 2023 01:05 #278665 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic CAM Question

- How about the post-processor for linuxcnc?

It is in Python, so you can edit it how ever you want with a text editor.
No tool table, or tools, probably can be added but would require more programing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPL

More
22 Aug 2023 15:03 - 22 Aug 2023 15:04 #278708 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic CAM Question
If you can define the profile in terms of G1, G2 and G3 moves then you can use the G70, G71, G72 lathe cycles, and skip the CAM stage altogether.
The docs are not the best: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g70

There are better explanations of how to use the cycle online, though they may use different code words for each parameter.

I would suggest using Axis or some other UI with a graphical preview to experiment with using the cycle before even thinking of cutting metal with it.

There is a sample G-code file using it here:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/a8bc34..._g70_71_demo.ngc#L30
Last edit: 22 Aug 2023 15:04 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds