hurco ball screw pitch misc Q's

More
11 Nov 2023 19:59 #285129 by smc.collins
I've done some measuring with calipers and I come up with a metric 5mm pitch ball screw on my 1994 Hurco slv40 espirit , anyone else know what this should be. The 5mm pitch seems very common on the hurcos of this vintage. Just sanity checking a few things on my retrofit at the moment. also has anyone hooked up the yaskawa cacr style spindle drives, any pointers before I jump in ? I put new servos on x y z becuase the old DC stuff was done. 

Toolchanger is next after the spindle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2023 14:18 #285259 by JacobRush
I have a hurco BMC 40 with an 80% done linuxcnc conversion. I think it's similar to yours but a few years older and no enclosure.

I seem to recall the ball screws were 10mm pitch on mine? I can double check the config when I get home tonight. For sure its metric & 5mm is certainly a possibility.

I do have the spindle mostly implemented with speed control and orient etc using the original drive. No big stumbling blocks there. Mine has a contactor that switches the windings for high/low speed spindle operation. I haven't set that up yet, but I think it's doable with a gearbox comp?

The toolchanger should be fairly straight forward with the umbrella component.

What servos / drives did you use for xyz? 2 out of 3 yaskawa drives died on me before I could get the conversion done & I need to figure out what to do about that.

More
13 Nov 2023 22:23 #285318 by smc.collins

JacobRush post=285259 userid=30396I have a hurco BMC 40 with an 80% done linuxcnc conversion. I think it's similar to yours but a few years older and no enclosure.

I seem to recall the ball screws were 10mm pitch on mine? I can double check the config when I get home tonight. For sure its metric & 5mm is certainly a possibility.

I do have the spindle mostly implemented with speed control and orient etc using the original drive. No big stumbling blocks there. Mine has a contactor that switches the windings for high/low speed spindle operation. I haven't set that up yet, but I think it's doable with a gearbox comp?

The toolchanger should be fairly straight forward with the umbrella component.

What servos / drives did you use for xyz? 2 out of 3 yaskawa drives died on me before I could get the conversion done & I need to figure out what to do about that.

I got some chinamart servos, pretty happy, I had to make custom couplers for the ballscrews and adapters for the mounting blocks. I put 2.3kw servos on with 3000rpm rated power. I figure like most china parts, they're probably a bit over rate lol. I will say though, these things do hoss hard.I'm shooting fof 1200ipm rapids and 600-900 rpm feeds, I also have a 15hp spindle and 10k rpm to work with so, I can use that up. I think I paid $1300 for all 3 axis drives and servos OTOMH round about with shipping was close to $1700 IIRC. YMMV on shipping rates. If you want my email is in my profile, I can re-oroder another set of servos. Mall ball screws are definitely not 10mm pitch, I have 8mm pitch in my lathe, these are nowhere near that coarse. I am writing my own toolchanger, no outside gcode etc, all in a neat tidy component. When I am done I am trying to modularize it so it can become something that can be setup with pnconf down the road. I have a slv40 it's a 1992, I have a bmc30 and a bmc20 to do next. 

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds