× Forum Header

Error when trying to jog motors in "Test Axis"

More
14 Jun 2013 18:41 #35616 by grey1beard
I've just upgraded from 2.3 to 2.5.2, and while my test cut program loaded, it placed the work well outside the cutting area of the m/c.
Not finding any reason, like bad G coding, I went back to running the stepconf wizard to see if my settings had been altered during the upgrade.
Everything looked exactly the same, so I tried testing each axis and got the error window attached.
Having no idea what it means, I'd be very grateful for help in translating it, as currently I cannot do any work.

The m/c has been behaving perfectly with 2.3, but I must have done something odd (nothing new there !) when upgrading.

I've also added a shot of Axis, showing the positional problem that the coding produced ( code file also attached).

John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2013 18:47 #35619 by cncbasher
check your soft limits and homing ...
your soft limit area starts at the centre point of the daisy ( red lines )
these need to be outside the part you are cutting

the stepconf error most likey will be that your picking up your old stepconf program , and not the newer one
so perhaps work checking .. that your picking up the correct paths

More
14 Jun 2013 22:34 #35631 by grey1beard
Thanks for your quick response, cncbasher.

I've checked the entries in the Stepcnf Wizard, and it certainly appears to me that they are all OK.

I've looked at several of my files, and compared them with the axis.ngc file as shown on start up, and seen a curious difference between the axis.ngc on a sim running on my laptop and the same file on my cnc machine setup, i.e. the appearance of G54 on the line leading from the m/c home position to where the first program entry is.
I now wonder if I have two separate problems, that the stepconfig non-running is a separate issue from my difficulty with getting my coded program to run.

Forgetting for the moment the first, am I right that G10 L2 P1 x- y- z- is measured from the m/c home position, not as I thought from the tool position when you "touch off" each axis ?
If this is so, does G10 L20 do what I want, or do I need to rewrite my code ?

John

More
14 Jun 2013 22:59 - 14 Jun 2013 22:59 #35633 by grey1beard
A consistent error when trying to set up a file to run is that when I use the 'touch off' button, the display shows that the Z axis moves, but neither the X nor the Y respond to whatever values I enter that box.

Now having second thoughts about my previous posting, and perhaps must sort out the stepconf problem first.
Ho hum, seem to be going backwards.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2013 22:59 by grey1beard.

More
14 Jun 2013 23:00 #35634 by cncbasher
yes your correct G54 measures from the home position

so just move or add a calculation of adding the daisy radius to the x & y , that will move your sott limits to the outer edge

More
14 Jun 2013 23:41 #35639 by grey1beard
Thanks again.
I've just added a line G10 l2 p1 x[0] y[0] to the end of the code, and the G54 label on the firt move seems to have disappeared.
I'll do the code mod next, but first a little drink..... ;)

John

More
15 Jun 2013 01:07 #35646 by grey1beard
Yes, I've got the measure of it now, and the test cut went OK.
I can see I need to put a bit of effort into getting my head round coordinate systems !
John

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds