× Forum Header

Switch and signal monitor

More
07 Oct 2014 16:46 - 07 Oct 2014 16:49 #51832 by Chattermark
Hi all,
still a linuxcnc-newbie, I'd like to ask for a simple way to monitor the various limit switches (primarily for function, polarity) and also the actual signals (enab le, direction etc.) delivered from and to the parallel port at least during setup - as linuxcnc sees them.

I've seen some pyVCP solutions but can't figure out yet how to quickly add them to my installation - I'm a lifelong new-to-linux-user ;)
My vision of that is something like in the Mach3 setup or like in Win-PCNC. Is there a simple solution that I just did not discover yet?

A pointer to a beginner's tutorial or article where I can start would be wunderful already at this time. Is it maybe even contained, but hidden, in stepconf already (to make it on topic here... ) ?

My first installation aims at a proxxon MF70 with a chinese TB6560 3 axis controller board. Yes,I know, not the top of the cream, the UHU driven servo motors for the next machine are here already, but... First steps first.

Regards, thanks,

Chattermark.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2014 16:49 by Chattermark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2014 16:54 #51833 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Switch and signal monitor
You can use the "Show HAL configuration"
All your logic can be seen there (including the parallel port pins, if you have one being used with linuxcnc).
You can even see it in real time, and test ON/OFF during tests that is very useful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chattermark

More
07 Oct 2014 17:17 #51834 by Chattermark
Great, thanks.
Can I start it from within the stepconf wizard, or do I hafve to do that from within the main program?
Cautious as I am, I dealt with the stepconf only first.

Regards,
C.

More
07 Oct 2014 17:20 #51835 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Switch and signal monitor
From the main program after the step config creates the configuration file.
After the configuration file is created, you can start linuxcnc and use the show hal configuration.

More
07 Oct 2014 18:43 #51844 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Switch and signal monitor

Can I start it from within the stepconf wizard, or do I hafve to do that from within the main program?

I don't think that LinuxCNC is running at all during a Stepconf session. (I can't test at the moment, I am nowhere near my LinuxCNC machines).
It must set up a temporary, minimal, LinuxCNC for the axis test.

To find out, open a terminal window when Stepconf is running and type
halcmd show all
If you see a list of HAL pins, then LinuxCNC is at least partially active.
If that is the case, then you can probably open an interactive HAL session and open a halscope (or several) to monitor individual pins.
halcmd -kf
loadusr halmeter
loadur hammeter

As I said, I don't know if this will work :-)

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds