× Forum Header

Where are the results of the latency test stored?

More
04 Nov 2014 03:59 #52735 by Delron
Hi all,

I've customized my .ini and .hal files quite a lot, and I've just setup a new computer for the old machine which has a different latency score. As I cannot run StepConfig any longer, how/where should this new latency result be updated to the new system?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2014 04:45 #52736 by PCW
The latency test results are not stored in any configuration file, but what
stepconf can do is choose a base thread period based on you latency test results
(it chooses a period that's twice your base thread jitter figure)

You can set the base period directly in your hal or ini file

More
04 Nov 2014 05:06 #52737 by Delron
Thanks.

Is it here in the .ini file? I'm guessing that I could create a new step configuration and just copy this section to the old config?

[EMCMOT]
EMCMOT = motmod
COMM_TIMEOUT = 1.0
COMM_WAIT = 0.010
BASE_PERIOD = 100000
SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

You said it can be set in the ini or hal file. Where is it in the hal, and what takes precedence?

Cheers!

More
04 Nov 2014 05:52 - 04 Nov 2014 05:52 #52740 by PCW

BASE_PERIOD = 100000

Is the statement that sets base thread period in the ini file

If your new mother board has different latency, you can adjust this number to suit

if you set the base thread period too short, you will get real-time errors and may make your machine very sluggish
If you set the base thread period longer than needed you will limit your maximum step rate = maximum axis velocity
Last edit: 04 Nov 2014 05:52 by PCW.

More
04 Nov 2014 20:58 #52762 by andypugh

You said it can be set in the ini or hal file. Where is it in the hal, and what takes precedence?

The HAL file (optionally) reads values from the INI file. Anything in the HAL file in the format [SECTION]VALUE means that the value is being read in from the INI file.
So, if your HAL file uses BASE_PERIOD from the INI file, you change it in the INI file. Otherwise you change it in the HAL file.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds