× Forum Header

Stepconf question from a newbie!

More
15 Jan 2015 02:10 #55013 by John Hill
I think higher speed came from the reduction of inductance by paralleling the windings rather than the cutting down of the rotor.. The only reason to use the cut down stator was to save time with the soldering iron and to prove that paralleling was worth the effort. I can parallel another full rotor but I fear I am approaching, or have even reached, the maximum capacity of my power supply and driver.

The motor will be driving the X axis of a 900 x 2000 moving gantry router machine. The axis drive will be by tensioned roller chain using my endless chain principle www.cnczone.com/forums/linear-and-rotary...ncept-long-axis.html.. I definitely need stepper function.

These motors have a lot of drag which I assume is due to magnetic reluctance of the stator cores and the reason the stator was cut down several years ago was to use it in a pedal generator. The later F@P machines have much reduced drag which is achieved by shaping the ends of the pole pieces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2015 11:52 #55070 by John Hill
Re the Fisher and Paykel washing machine motor.

I did a test today with the cut down stator and found 2.6 Nm of torque and a free running speed of 500rpm. This is with each phase consisting of 6 coils in a series parallel configuration of 3x2.

Considering my earlier tests I believe this is the most practical configuration for this motor with the power supply and drivers I have on hand. Considering also that I am using only 18 of the original 42 coils I expect more powerful drivers would get at least 5.5Nm of torque, maybe more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds