× Forum Header

Bug with stepconf and spindle control tab?

More
29 Mar 2015 19:48 #57278 by MrFluffy
Not sure if this is a bug or user error, but I have noticed I only get the spindle configuration gui tab when I have the primary parallel port configured as a spindle speed control, but if I only have it on the second card, the tab does not appear.
I have split off my spindle speed control components onto port 2 because Im out of inputs on port1.
I can add it to hal with vi, but if this is a bug I should report it to help things improve yes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2015 22:58 #57285 by ArcEye
I am sure Chris will look at this, but will need to know which version of Linuxcnc this refers to

regards

More
30 Mar 2015 00:48 - 30 Mar 2015 00:53 #57292 by MrFluffy
Sorry, very vauge there by me, hopefully this is a bit better. I was still fishing to see if I had done something daft first and I got called away from the pc and hit send :-)
From the inital header of stepconf (I tried a -v or --version flag but it doesnt have one.
# stepconf 1.1 revamped by Chris Morley 2014

The release is 2.6 on Debian Wheezy install
$ uname -a
Linux myhostname 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc i686 GNU/Linux

$ python --version
Python 2.7.3

$ cat /etc/debian_version

I ran it in debug, with the parport configured onto port two and got this out of the -d flag :-
DEBUG: FWD search 4,pport2,Parallel Port 2,True,of 11 pages
DEBUG: page_set_state() spindle ,False

Attached screenshot of the gui which produced that output.

If I proceed further in it doesnt offer the spindle dialogue page.
If I enable a pin on the first parallel port as the spindle pwm, the dialog appears as expected.

Its not a showstopper, but it did cause me to scratch my head a bit at first thinking I was missing something obvious trying to rtfm & not understanding how to control the spindle correctly. I have a vfd with a diycnc frequency to voltage + control relay board feeding the analog input to the vfd with 10v if that is relevant in any way (dont think so.. )
For now, its going round when I turn it on, so thats a improvement :)

Are there any config files etc needed which might help further diagnosis?
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 00:53 by MrFluffy.

More
30 Mar 2015 06:46 - 30 Mar 2015 06:57 #57298 by cmorley
Thank you for the bug report.. I am pushing a fix for 2.6 on up now.
If you are using 'official' 2.6 it will come to you when 2.6.8 is released

The spindle signal check only checked the first parallel port - now it checks both.

ok well it will be a bit longer i see there is another incorrect check for spindle encoder signals....

Chris M
Last edit: 30 Mar 2015 06:57 by cmorley. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFluffy

More
30 Mar 2015 23:07 #57320 by MrFluffy
Thanks Chris, I am in no rush as because of my odd spindle drive config Im having to hand edit things, but some people in IRC have handheld me through my first brush with hal directly and Ive started to understand the config so just passing it back as a noted.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds