× Forum Header

Chargepump and external estop

More
17 Apr 2015 02:40 #57850 by OOOVincentOOO
Hello,

Sorry if this question may have come up a dozen of times. But I am newbee to linux and starting with a CNC machine.

My other software named after the speed of fighter Jet's did not fullfill my needs. Eventually I would like to make use of Kinimatics and the expensive other software did not have that option.

Now to my questions. With help of StepCnfWizard I have managed so far:

No problems with:
- Step and dir of XYZ (motion tests are sucsesfull), setting max speed gave some skeeking of motors mm/s instead of mm/min in my documentation! :blush:
- Inputs for homing are recognized.
- Homing works without problems (after setting the homing speed to a negative number :blush: ).

Though I had / have some problems with:

Problems with external estop
(the estop is a break contact, after pressing the switch is open).

Observation:
- The system worked without problems but the estop did not work!

Action:
- Invert the Estop signal in StepCnfWizard.

Observation:
- The estop now works in the program Axis.

+++++
Question 1:
- Can I trust Estop now with the signal inverted? I do not know what I did wrong, I would expect the system to work with a non inverted Estop signal. In my view of understanding the estop would have worked reversed but it isn't.
+++++

Second I am puzzled with the Chargepump.
My small interface card (Langefeld) has a chargepump:
www.pro-tos.de/shop/Interface/Parallel-I...2-5-Charge-Pump.html
I have only selected the output in StepCnfWizard to pin 17. But the axis program does not seem to respond to either the chargepump or it's inverted signal.

+++++
Question 2:
- How can I test the functionality of the chargepump?
+++++

Hopefully some of you has some time to give some simple solutions I can understand. I do not have the ability to respond and thank you immidiatly to your responces. But Thank you If you could help me.

Regards,

Vincent
a starting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2015 13:26 #57855 by ArcEye
Hi

Question 1:
- Can I trust Estop now with the signal inverted? I do not know what I did wrong, I would expect the system to work with a non inverted Estop signal. In my view of understanding the estop would have worked reversed but it isn't.

Hi

Your board uses opto-couplers on the inputs with pull ups.
This will have the effect of inverting the logic of the signal, so the logic is reversed to restore the logic to HIGH = ON

Regards the charge pump, your board does not have a charge pump, it receives the charge pump signal which is necessary for it to operate.
Testing is simple remove the signal and nothing works.

Need to see your hal and ini files for the rest.
I have found the default chargepump interlinked with estop config did not work with some of my boards and I could never get it switched on.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: OOOVincentOOO

More
17 Apr 2015 15:27 #57858 by OOOVincentOOO
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. As soon as I am home I'll make a copy of the HAL and INI files.

I will also test the charge pump signal and disable port 17 and see what happens.

Greetings,

Vince

More
17 Apr 2015 18:11 #57859 by andypugh

- Can I trust Estop now with the signal inverted?

As much as you ever could...
Ideally the E-stop circuit would also disconnect the power to the drives etc.
On my machine the e-stop loop runs through the main contactor. So pressing the button powers-off the machine (but not the PC) and a HAL signal tells LinuxCNC that an e-stop condition exists.

It isn't normally considered ideal to have the e-stop circuit send a signal to the software and then have the software turn off the drives. (Thoug there can be an argument that with a fast system it is better to stop under control than to un-power the drives).

I do not know what I did wrong, I would expect the system to work with a non inverted Estop signal. In my view of understanding the estop would have worked reversed but it isn't.

All you have done is configure the software to know what voltage on the e-stop pin means "OK" and which means "Not OK" and both ways round are perfectly valid.

I have only selected the output in StepCnfWizard to pin 17. But the axis program does not seem to respond to either the chargepump or it's inverted signal.

That seems back-to-front...
Normally the software outputs a charge-pump signal and the hardware turns itself off if the signal is not present.

So, LinuxCNC sends a 1kHz (probably) square wave signal to the interface board, and if that signal stops cycling high/low then the assumption is that the software has stopped working and the hardware system closes down.

So, Axis never would respond to the charge pump. if the charge pump signal stops cycling then the chances are that Axis and the entire PC are not responding to anything any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OOOVincentOOO

More
18 Apr 2015 00:38 #57868 by OOOVincentOOO
Hello,

Back home and I have set the PIN17 (Chargepump) to unused. The axis program blocks in a SW emergency stop, just as I liked to test! When setting it back to PIN17 Chargepump everything runs again.

The wizard seems to overright the Chargepump signal I think. Inside the wizard I can use the axis independent upon the chargepump. Just like you explained it is the software that controls the chargepump.

Everything seems to work okay for now; axis XYZ, Homeswitches, Chargepump and spindle out.

For now thanks for the help!,

I have attached the ini and hall files. If someone has time and finds some big mistakes! Hopefully it's okay.

I am not yet in full understanding how they work and all interlink. And I am afraid to leave the comfort of the wizard for now. My knowhow for now is to keep using the wizard and when I am comfortable in time start editing the HAL and INI files.

Vince

File Attachment:

File Name: KK1000S.zip
File Size:6 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds