× Forum Header

Classic Ladder and PyVCP Question in Stepconf

More
29 Apr 2015 02:06 #58205 by JoeHildreth
I was playing around with StepConf Wizard last night, looking at what exactly was added to the configuration files when you make selections on the Advanced Configuration page. I have determined the following.

To keep it short, when selecting the check box under PyVCP to include connections to HAL seems to produce no new code, but I suspect that is where the line

POSTGUI_HALFILE = custom_postgui.hal

is added to the [HAL] section of the machine's INI file.

Is mu assumption correct on this?

Second, when selecting the checkbox for including connections to HAL under the classic ladder section seems to produce no changes in the config files, but again I suspect that this line

HALFILE = custom.hal

is added to the [HAL] section of the machine's INI file.

Is this assumption correct.

Also, I noted on a new Stepconf Wizard config, without using PyVCP or HALUI, or Classic Ladder, the same two files are added to the machine's INI file.

Now, I understand that custom.hal is where you can put connections for your ladder program and not worry about them being overwritten if you use Stepconf again, and the custom_postgui.hal file exits to create connections after the GUI has been created. So I suppose my question is the following?

Are the two above mentioned check boxes meant to perform this function or do they actually do something else?

If they are meant to provide this functionality, then they seem unneeded because stepconf will create the entries whether you want them or not.

I know it is an obtuse question, but I just want to make sure I understand what is happening behind the scenes.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 09:14 #58213 by cmorley
looking at the source code:

picking classicladder changes the main HAL to include the commands to load it with the ladder file 'custom.clp
If you pick the estop ladder sample some commands are added to the main HAL file to connect it.
There is no changes to the custom or postgui files for ladder samples.

Pyvcp examples add code to postgui hal file - code depends on options selected.
If there are no options picked a blank postgui file will be added.

if there is no custom.hal file a blank one will be added.

I should probably revamp this a bit but that's how it is right now.

Chris M

More
29 Apr 2015 09:37 #58214 by JoeHildreth
Hi Chris,

I did see that stuff added to the files as i worked through the different options. The only thing I noticed was there seemed to be no change to the files when checking the checkboxes for including connections to HAL with either Pyvcp or classicladder. I was wondering is they added the two additional HAL files we see:

the custom.hal and postgui.hal files. If so, it seems that stepconf adds these whether you have the checkboxes selected or not and even if you don'y use pyvcp or classic ladder.

I was wondering if these two checkboxes specifically do anything else to the configs.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Joe

More
30 Apr 2015 07:20 #58250 by cmorley
There are always custom.hal and postgui.hal files present with stepconf.
Whats in postgui should change depending on the checkboxes.

It's quite possible that after you have choosen the first time that stepconf doesn't overwrite them if you unchoose them.
It's hard for stepconf to know if the postgui.hal file stuff is what you selected in stepconf or if you hand edited after.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoeHildreth

More
30 Apr 2015 07:22 #58251 by cmorley
In pncconf I worked around that problem by having a 'jump' file between the postgui file.
the jump file would change depending on the checboxes but the postgui file would always just be for the user's hand edited stuff..

Maybe I should add that to stepconf

Chris m

More
01 May 2015 01:45 #58278 by JoeHildreth
Chris,

Thank you for the explanations. I appreciate it. I know from other posts you are aware that I am trying to put together a series of tutorials, and I am just making sure I understand what is happening before I attempt to inform others. You know how hard it is to correct things once some misinformation has taken hold. Thanks for clarifying it.

In my tutorial(s), I am showing how to make the changes using ether the Stepconf Wizard, or manually editing the configuration files. I think it is prudent to show both. That is why I was interrogating what the stepconf wizard added to the files, trying to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thank you for your help.

Joe

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds