× Forum Header

halui.machine.is-on

More
06 May 2015 08:49 #58421 by fc60
halui.machine.is-on was created by fc60
Greetings,

I decided to try and use StepConf to create a clean machine definition for my Smithy CNC1240 that has a topic posted in General Questions.

The following is quoted from the factory data sheet (PMDX-110)

for the combined Breakout Board and Spindle Control.

pin 1 > coolant enable from PC
pin 2 > X dir
pin 3 > X step
pin 4 > Y dir
pin 5 > Y step
pin 6 > Z dir
pin 7 > Z step
pin 8 > A dir
pin 9 > A step
pin 10 > eStop status to PC
pin 11 > inhibit switch status to PC
pin 12 > limit switches status to PC
pin 13 > probe status signal to PC
pin 14 > spindle motor direction signal from PC (Mach config as Output 1 from M3 forward)
pin 15 > spare status signal to PC
pin 16 > spindle speed as PWM signal from PC (This pin sets speed AND turns spindle on and
off. When no PWM is present the spindle will stop. Mach does this by default when spindle PWM
Control of spindle is selected. We recommend base frequency of 25 and minimum speed of 5%.
pin 17 > "charge pump" safety signal from PC, must be configured and active to enable motors
pins 18-25 > ground

Most of the picks in StepConf are easy to sort out. However, pin 11 has me baffled. Which item do I select from the Input choices?

The title "halui.machine.is-on" is what I found with the HAL meter. Another configuration allows "F2" to toggle the machine power and this line is in the HAL file. However, it is not to be found in the HAL file of my new configuration. (I thought I would be clever and cut and paste the two lines into my new configuration. All it did was issue a rather long crash report upon loading.)

I arbitrarily named the machine "Rick" and the INI and HAL files are attached.

Ideally, I would like to use StepConf to maintain the configuration. I do expect there will be exceptions and some hand editing will be necessary.

With kind regards,

David

File Attachment:

File Name: Rick.ini
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Rick.hal
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2015 14:49 #58426 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic halui.machine.is-on

I decided to try and use StepConf to create a clean machine definition for my Smithy CNC1240 that has a topic posted in General Questions.

I think you are wise, there was something very screwy about the last one.

I see it came from the sample configs folder, there are many more there too, albeit a lot using Mesa boards

Most of the picks in StepConf are easy to sort out. However, pin 11 has me baffled. Which item do I select from the Input choices?

This BOB is one solely for this machine.

If it has an inhibit switch feed to the PC, there must be an inhibit switch somewhere on the machine, on a guard or just a button somewhere, that should prevent operation until on or off.. depending on logic.
That is the way I read it.

However the answer to your question is in your previous config

It appears this is a feed hold switch and that is what it is connected to

#PMDX-110
net run parport.0.pin-11-in-not halui.program.pause motion.feed-hold

regards

More
07 May 2015 02:24 #58454 by fc60
Replied by fc60 on topic halui.machine.is-on
Greetings ArcEye,

"If it has an inhibit switch feed to the PC, there must be an inhibit switch somewhere on the machine, on a guard or just a button somewhere, that should prevent operation until on or off.. depending on logic.
That is the way I read it."

Yes, on the front of the control box is a switch labeled "MOTION" and the choices are "SAFE" or "RUN". At one time, turning the switch forth and back illuminated an LED on the BOB marked "inhibit". Since the control box came back from the factory it no longer works.

I looked at the available picks on the pop-up window for INPUTS on the Parallel Port Setup page of StepConf and cannot find a "feed hold" pick, nor anything sounding somewhat similar.

Do I need to hand code some text into my custom.hal file?

As I mentioned earlier, toggling "F2" does nothing. With the factory config, "F2" toggles power to the machine.

Side note. I sent you a personal email via the forum. Hopefully you received it.

Sincerely,

Dave

More
07 May 2015 15:11 #58469 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic halui.machine.is-on

I looked at the available picks on the pop-up window for INPUTS on the Parallel Port Setup page of StepConf and cannot find a "feed hold" pick, nor anything sounding somewhat similar.

Do I need to hand code some text into my custom.hal file?

Yes you probably need to do it by hand, the same text needs to go in roughly the same place in your main .hal file, not custom.hal.

However this button is completely unnecessary to the operation of linuxcnc, you can do a feed hold from the GUI.

I would leave it unconnected for now.

I albeit have a nasty suspicion at the back of my mind. wanting to know what this OEM BOB does with the signal.
Does it just pass it on to the controller, or does it also use it in its own logic to to prevent movement?

If it is just a straight signal, you can forget about it for now and get basic movement etc working.

You can set each axis to have a shared limit and home switch and split the sensor outputs to 3 free inputs and use the ini file lines Andy gave, so that you can both home and use as a limit switch.

Nothing received from the forum yet, but that is not unusual :laugh:

regards

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds