× Forum Header

Error during setup Z to run Blacktooth laser

More
27 Oct 2015 09:18 #64333 by ubergeek
I want to start by saying I am very new to LinuxCNC. I am a n00b at best. But I found a lot of posts on here and other forums that have taught me a lot in setting up my Blacktooth Laser CNC.
Now to the error I am getting. I have tried several times to set up the blacktooth to run but it will not fire the laser via the Z direction on pin 6. I am able to move in both x and y easily but the M in the code is not making the laser fire. I connected a multimeter to the x and y and i am getting a 5 volt pulse but the Z is not getting anything. The wires check out to as i ran completely different wires.
I went through the stepconf setup again and same issue. I decided to go down a version of LinuxCNC from Debian to Ubuntu based hoping that it would also rule out a bad copy but the same issue happens.
When i run the stepconfig again i try to "Test" the Z in the Z setup box and i get this error (see picture) on any and all versions of LinuxCNC i try. I am very certain that it is a setting somewhere but i am running out of ideas. Any help will be great. Thank you in advance for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2015 14:09 #64339 by ArcEye
Your configuration is incorrect.

I would suspect that you have not set the variables which allow scale to be calculated, so it still has the default python 'None' value.

scale = data[axis + "scale"]

This is a python error, nothing to do with wiring.

If you cannot resolve it yourself by filling out the boxes properly before trying to test, you will have to post your config for anyone to be able to help you further

regards

More
27 Oct 2015 18:17 - 27 Oct 2015 18:25 #64345 by ubergeek
ArcEye Thank you for the reassurance that it is a setting. I have been spinning my wheels for a little while now and knowing that i don't have to check the wires again helps already.
The settings i am using are found here www.buildyourtools.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3562
I have copied the pictures used over there to this page as well. I guess i do not know where to set the scale as you mentioned?
Last edit: 27 Oct 2015 18:25 by ubergeek.

More
27 Oct 2015 18:24 #64346 by ArcEye

I am able to move in both x and y easily but the M in the code is not making the laser fire.

The test button is to move steppers. It does not run gcode.

Configure as per the page you posted and test the actual machine, not pressing a 'Test' button in the stepconf wizard.

regards

More
27 Oct 2015 18:38 #64347 by ubergeek
When i press test in the stepconf wizard i get the error and when i run actual gcode through it the laser does not fire but the steppers move perfectly.
I guess i am not sure what you mean by not pressing a test button?
I can make the laser fire with the manual fire physical button i installed to aim the laser so i know that part works.
Where is the place i can check the scale scale = data[axis + "scale"] you mentioned? and i could post that

More
27 Oct 2015 19:15 #64348 by ArcEye

Where is the place i can check the scale scale = data[axis + "scale"] you mentioned? and i could post that

That is the python code which produced the error, completely irrelevant to what you want.

The stepconf wizard will not set up a M code script and connect it. You have to do that.

You need to connect the fire button logic through HAL, so that it can be activated in GCode
That is what this section of the guide is about

I am using the Parallel BOB, LinuxCNC installed on a PC from the Live CD, and using pin7 to control the laser
(BOB pin 7) --> (laser PS pin "TL)
this allows me to use M commands in a CAMBAM postprocessor to turn the laser on and off.
M62 and M63 are the commands I am using
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/m-c ... ec:M62-M65

So read this lot for the full picture

In the days since I posted that question...I've managed to find a custom build using LinuxCNC that drastically improves raster capabilities, employes PPI (usually only found in DSP's) and PWM power control via G-code & software.

github.com/jv4779/2x_laser the custom config setup

www.cnczone.com/forums/general_l ... d_dsp.html Explanation of the custom config and how it works

www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1303 Explaining duty cycle vs PPI

More
29 Nov 2015 23:43 #66067 by ubergeek
Ok, I have toiled over the HAL settings and everything shows that the Z direction is set up correctly, but the laser will still not fire. I Tried changing the settings in the stepconfig to point to pin 7 on the BOB and moved the wire to match and the system will still not fire. I then change the X direction to pin 6 and moved the wire back to 6 on the BOB and the laser does fire every time the X direction is told to move. This rules out a cable issue but still doesn't explain why the laser will not fire when the gcode tells pic 6 to fire. I also found that if i set the Z direction to reverce the laser will come on at the start of the z code and stay on until i power cycle the whole PC. i am begining to think that something is really long with PC but i do not have another to test this theory.
I also connect a voltage meter to PIN 6 on the BOB and the voltage is not changing when it is all set up correctly.
One last thing that puzzles me is if i press the Z Direction + or - on the main LinuxCNC screen the laser will "blink on" for a brief second and the software red e stop (in the top left corner) along with the power button (next to it) both grey out and i need to reset it before i can use it again. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

More
30 Nov 2015 10:17 #66096 by cncbasher
rather than run around in circles , post your FULL config as an archive , and also the gcode program your testing with .
what is your interface to the laser , and what type of laser co2 or diode ?

More
30 Nov 2015 12:32 #66100 by ubergeek
The laser is a Blacktooth 40 watt Co2 kit by Build you CNC (www.buildyourcnc.com/blacktoothlasercutterandengraver.aspx)
The test gcode is attached Prizm-02_TEST. As for the config file I am still a noob at this so I may have posted these wrong. Sorry for that, I posted the 2 files from the config folder that I think you are needing. Let me know if this works or doesn't. Thank you for your help.
Attachments:

More
30 Nov 2015 13:44 #66109 by andypugh
I think that there is some confusion here between the machine config and the G-code.

The G-code example is clearly using the spindle on / spindle off commands to control the laser and does not contain any Z-moves

It looks like you have configured the machine to use Z axis direction to control the laser.

Your G-code sample will probably work as-expected if you change this:
net ystep => parport.0.pin-04-out
net ydir => parport.0.pin-05-out
net zdir => parport.0.pin-07-out

To
net ystep => parport.0.pin-04-out
net ydir => parport.0.pin-05-out
net laser motion.spindle-on => parport.0.pin-07-out

It is relatively easy to make a config that allows both modes of control, if that would be useful.

Personally I think that M62 M63 is more appropriate than either.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds