× Forum Header

Need help with Driver Timing Settings...

More
13 May 2016 05:44 #74586 by mjohnsonsa
I am new to linuxcnc and am trying to get it up and running. I have no clue what my Driver Timing Settings should be for my drivers. I am using these which I have not seen mentioned anywhere:

www.cncconversionkit.com/cnc-driver-kit-...ntroller-dm556d.html
www.cncelectronicskit.com/

On the drivers there are micro switches to set the 'current' and 'pulse'. I have Current set to 3.8A and Pulse set to 1600. I am using them with NEMA 34 steppers. I have no idea how these values convert to the Step Time, Space, Direction Hold, Direction Setup in LinuxCNC.

When I was demoing Mach3, the settings for these drivers were set as "Steps Per: 320" in the motor tuning and setup. The only information I could get from the guy who sells these is this:

Pitch: 5mm
Screw size: 16mm
Motor steps per revolution: 200
If driver is set to 1600 it is 8 macro steps (1600/pitch of ball screw = macro steps)

Anyway, this is all I have (and am able to get) on these drivers, can someone help me on what I should set as the Driver Timing Settings in LinuxCNC based on the above information?

Thanks.
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 11:47 #74591 by andypugh
It sounds like the drivers assume a 200 steps per rev stepper motor (which is rather the standard at the moment)

So, 1600 means 8x microstepping, ie 1600 step pulses per motor revolution.

In trying to be helpful, stepconf gives the impression that is need more information than it does. In fact the whole scaling thing becomes one single number in the INI file, the number of pulses the system needs to send to move the machine one unit (units can be anything, but usually inches or mm)
You could tell stepconf that you had a one-step-per-rev motor and 1600 microsteps, and that would work, for example.

As for the pulse timing, you might as well use 5000 step and 5000 space. Nearly any drive will work with that, and there isn't much benefit in going shorter. There is even less benefit in havign short setup times, by definition the machine is moving slowly when it reverses.

More
13 May 2016 16:41 #74610 by mjohnsonsa
Andy, thank you for your response, however some of the names you used do not correspond to the field names I see on the form, can you verify that I put them in the correct fields below per your recommended values?

Step Time: 5000
Step Space: 5000
Direction Hold: ??? <--- I don't think your message specified what I should put here for the drivers I have, should I just use 20000 per the instructions?
Direction Setup: ??? <-- same as above?

Motor Steps per Revolution: 1
Driver Microstepping: 1600

Also, for Leadscrew Pitch I know I have a 5mm lead screw pitch but the units after the field box say "rev/in". Should the value there be 5.08? (i.e., 25.4 / 5mm)

Thanks for your help!

Matt

More
13 May 2016 17:56 #74616 by andypugh
Yes, use 20,000 for setup and hold. It is probably very conservative, but it won't cost you anything.

You might prefer to use 200 and 8 for steps and microstepping, or 1600 and 1. Actually the last one is probably the least confusing one if you come back to this later. But they should all end up makig exactly the same INI config.,

Yes, 5.08 TPI is the same as 5mm pitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjohnsonsa

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds