Best ARM SBC to use with LinuxCNC

More
05 Sep 2023 15:41 #279995 by cakeslob
There has been work in the driver field working with spidev using other boards.

User Mr.Bubbles has something going with an UP board, which appears to be an x86, over spidev

github.com/mrbubble62/UPBoard-Remora
github.com/scottalford75/Remora/compare/...Board-Remora:upboard

I dont know if this works or not, but 2 parts interest me,
one is x86 using spi,
and second if this can be used as a framework, combined with a board specific c_gpio.c to bring other SBC online with the project

If anyone with rockchip or allwinner sbc wants to tackle make an attempt that would be cool
The following user(s) said Thank You: itsemast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2023 06:31 #280060 by itsemast
Thank you for this info! This is definitely interesting to me. I will try to adapt it to use SPI in a more standard way, so it's possible to use the same code on any hardware (and if it's not, then unify the interface at least).
The following user(s) said Thank You: cakeslob

More
30 Sep 2023 21:39 #281956 by GeramyL
Remora works with Ethernet on the ec500 or any board you could port it to. It’s not required to use remora on a RPi. Because Remora-nv supports Ethernet mode. It has for a while. I am also curious which SBC has the lowest latency because I believe that matters also a little bit. I have been looking at the Industrial Beagle Board as it has a 1.4ghz quad core and another processor also. The question for me is what’s the latency on the Ethernet adapter and on the cores when running latency tests on LinuxCNC. Also it has PRU and Edma which could be used to drive steppers directly from LinuxCNC. I would be willing to make a driver if it performed well as far as latency/jitter goes.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds