Horizontal Drilling using G81

More
07 May 2015 00:49 #58447 by terans1085
Hello,

I am currently trying to used the canned drill cycle to perform horizontal drilling using the drill head of my router (attached). As can be seen, four horizontal drills are available, however I have been able to use only two so far, i.e. only where R > Z. Drilling on the planes facing -Y and -X is proving impossible without rotating the coordinate system, which on the other hand is quite difficult to automate on CAM.

Any ideas?? Thanks :)

Terence

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2015 01:31 #58450 by cradek
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G80-G89

I am not sure I understand your question fully. You can use the cycles in any plane, see the docs above. I can't tell if you're asking about different planes though, or if you're talking about drilling "upside-down" in a certain plane, like if you wanted to drill "upward" in Z. Can you describe more fully what is going on?

More
08 May 2015 12:46 #58504 by terans1085
Hi!

Thank you for your reply :)

Yes you can put it like that. I am trying to do 'upside down' drilling in the G18(XZ) plane and G19(YZ) plane. Hence when the ngc file is loaded I am given the error that R is less than Z.

Regards,
Terence

More
08 May 2015 18:09 #58507 by BigJohnT
I would recommend using G1 and G0 to drill in an upside down machine or configure the machine in a normal way.

JT

More
08 May 2015 23:01 #58510 by terans1085
Using G0 and G1 is one possible solution, but the CAM I use outputs G81. Not to mention canned cycles are surely convenient. ;)

The machine IS configured in a normal way....drilling in the Z axis is normal. But for side drilling it has horizontal drills mounted opposite each other (refer to photo above). Is there a way to bypass the R<Z error in the G81 canned cycle?

Regards,
Terence

More
09 May 2015 01:06 - 09 May 2015 01:10 #58513 by BigJohnT
Sure, you just have to change the code to ignore that error, great thing about open source is you can. I don't have a clue where the code is, I'm just a python guy.

On the IRC it was mentioned to try and rotate the coordinate system then try it... you might be the first.

JT
Last edit: 09 May 2015 01:10 by BigJohnT.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds