Running Axis remotely with Nomachine's NX v3.5

More
19 May 2014 17:28 - 19 May 2014 17:30 #47047 by kostas
For anyone wanting to run Linuxcnc remotely and get the Axis interface on Windows. I don't know if this information is already written somewhere, but I couldn't find anything about the issue, so here is my method.

I use the free Nomachine's NX client for Windows for years for running X applications on Linux machines and today I wanted to run Linuxcnc on a virtual machine over the Internet in simulation to test something. I tried with NX and Linuxcnc crashed with some error messages

Starting LinuxCNC...
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
Resource id in failed request: 0xffffffff
Serial number of failed request: 682
Current serial number in output stream: 683
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...

I tried with Xming which I also have handy, but the speed was too slow so I searched a bit and found that the following command does the work for NX:
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 linuxcnc

The steps for running Axis remotely are:
Install nxserver, nxnode, nxclient on the Linux machine
Install nx client on the Windows machine
Open nx connection wizard on Windows, enter the session name, host and port on the first screen
press next and choose Unix and custom, press settings and choose "run the console"
Finish the wizard and open the newly created session, enter username/password and connect
At the console that will appear enter the "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 linuxcnc" I mentioned earlier and Linuxcnc should run ok

I must also say that I haven't tried with NX version 4 and I can't find the deb binaries for NX 3.5 in Nomachine's site now, they say that this version is no longer supported. But I have the 3.5 binaries for anyone wishing to do this.
Last edit: 19 May 2014 17:30 by kostas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds