Custom Panel in Axis - PYVCP not updating after upgrade from 2.7 to 2.9;

More
06 May 2024 02:35 #299876 by C_M_H
I recently got a new ( used, I still use the parallel port  ) computer for LinuxCNC. Rather than clone my old setup I did a fresh install of Debian 12 and LinuxCNC 2.9.2.

I ran the script that auto-updated my config files and compiled / installed my custom HAL components and success! My machine works!

One problem has presented itself. My custom panel in Axis / PYVCP is not updating. I used HALShow to confirm the signals are indeed working under the hood but they are not working in the custom panel. The attached screen shot shows the LaserSignal1 and pyvcp.Laser-On-LED both active while the program runs but the Laser custom panel LED does not "light".

Before I post my HAL files I thought I'd ask if there is any obvious thing I'm missing when upgrading from 2.7 to 2.9. And since the problem seems to be somewhere in Axis / PYVCP I don't know if the HAL files matter anyway as it appears the needed signals are all making their way into Axis.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, thanks in advance,

Craig

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2024 02:48 #299878 by rodw
Becasue of the depreciation of Python 2.7 in Debian 11, I have always found it easier to install from the official installer (debian 12)
Whilst it is posible to do an sudo apt upgrade to move from one version of Debian ot the next, it is quite time consuming so not worth the effort (and the Python issue raises its head too)

More
06 May 2024 03:10 #299880 by C_M_H
Hello rodw & thanks for the note.

I should have mentioned I installed from the LinuxCNC 2.9.2 Debian 12 Bookworm PREEMPT-RT ISO I downloaded from linuxcnc.org/downloads/.

More
06 May 2024 03:35 #299882 by C_M_H
One more thing I find confusing;

The "Test Fire" button works as it should. I have it setup in my postgui HAL file like this:

net test-fire halui.mdi-command-34 <= pyvcp.test-fire

But none of the spinboxes are working....

More
06 May 2024 15:51 #299953 by C_M_H
Ok, a little progress. I poked around entering numbers and such and managed to get this error ( attached below ). Once this error shows up I no longer see any updating in HALshow.

I'm not so good with Python but is appears the problem is formatting related;

TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

Attachments:

More
06 May 2024 16:07 #299955 by C_M_H
It occurred to me I did modify the axisrc.py script to customize my Axis GUI.

Maybe I need to update some of the *.tk.* sections? Just guessing here.

axisrc.py attached for reference.

File Attachment:

File Name: axisrc.py
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
09 May 2024 23:48 #300256 by cakeslob
i dont see very much in your usercommand file that would even need updating from python3, and it would complain about it specifically if there was something wrong. 

Not sure what you need to update from py2 to py3 for a vcp, but from the error message, it looks like its coming from a/the "bar widget" as far as i can tell, in your pyvcp

Time to create page: 0.331 seconds