xhc-whb04b-6 axis remapping

More
16 May 2021 21:59 #209174 by vedatech
I have a machine with an unusual configuration - XBCW axes. I'm running the latest 2.9.0-pre head clone compiled on Ubuntu 18.04 with the 5.0.21-rt16 PREEMPT kernel. Using AXIS and trivkins I can get G-code to work correctly. Its basically Spherical coordinates with a X offset. Now I want to connect my xhc-whb04b-6 pendant. Axes X, B and C work fine with the currently included driver but it doesn't recognize W. That is the most important one to control manually.

I was hoping to somehow remap one of the unused pendant settings, say Z, to control W. So far I haven't found a way to do this. Does anyone have a solution?

I have tried adding a dummy Z axis to the HAL but this seem to confuse AXIS. Perhaps a modified KINEMATICS is needed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2021 12:24 #209222 by andypugh
if G-code works then there should be little difficulty getting a pendant to work.

an you attach the HAL file that connects up the pendant?

More
17 May 2021 12:24 #209223 by andypugh

if G-code works then there should be little difficulty getting a pendant to work.

Can you attach the HAL file that connects up the pendant?

More
17 May 2021 15:40 #209236 by vedatech
The pendant does work for axes X, B and C - just not for W because the xhc-whb04b-6 driver that is now part of 2.9.0-pre only recognizes XYZABC. However, after a quick test I found that I can use Z in place of W in my HAL. Now the pendant works and I'm changing my configuration to XZBC which AXIS seems to handle with no problem. I just wasn't clear about how EMC coordinates were handled. The problem is solved - I hope.

More
17 May 2021 17:22 #209245 by andypugh

The pendant does work for axes X, B and C - just not for W because the xhc-whb04b-6 driver that is now part of 2.9.0-pre only recognizes XYZABC

There is absolutely nothing to stop you connecting whb.axis.2.jog-counts (which moves when the selector is in the Z position) to the joint.8.jog-counts and axis.W.jog-count pins in the HAL.
Then all you need to do is change the legend on the physical controller.

The whole point of HAL is that anything can connect to anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vedatech

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds