Bluetooth XBox controller HAL pins disappearing after controller goes to sleep

More
22 Feb 2024 07:03 #293958 by darrylb123
I have set up a Microsoft bluetooth XBox controller to use with linuxcnc hal_input.
It worked perfectly with linuxcnc 2.8.4 running kernel 5.10
The controller could go to sleep and when awakened would reconnect to linux, could be used straight away in linuxcnc.

Since upgrading to linuxcnc 2.9.2, when the controller goes to sleep the HAL input pins disappear and, once the controller is reconnected, do not come back. Restarting linuxcnc is the only way I have found to use the controller after sleeping.
The controller comes up as a different input when it reconnects after reawakening (via dmesg), not sure what was happening with 2.8.4 as I never had to fault find it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2024 10:09 #294063 by tommylight
This is a bit tough to figure out, but new kernels can put USB devices to sleep, and some of those devices will fail to wake up, requiring a reboot.
I have a laptop that had issues with touchpad not waking up when aggresive power saving options were active, no issues out of the box though.
You can check Debian forums, much more users there, so greater chances of finding a solution.
I am sure the USB devices can be blacklisted from power saving, but i never bothered with it.
Search for laptop power saving, there is a small piece of software for doing exactly that, see if that works for you.

More
23 Feb 2024 10:28 #294066 by darrylb123
The controller reconnects immediately it wakes as far as the kernel and Bluetooth is concerned. It connects with the next /Dev input number. But the Hal pins disappear immediately it goes to sleep and never come back.

More
23 Feb 2024 10:47 #294068 by tommylight
My idea was to prevent it from going to sleep.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds