7176E plus LCNC running on a Virtual Machine

More
29 Oct 2016 10:09 #82229 by Cheech
Hi

Wondering if I could possibly run LinuxCNC in a virtual machine in Windows and have it networked to a 7176E card? Or would I have timing issues with the Ethernet comms via VM.

Has anyone ever tried? Or is there another similar alternative?

Main reason is so I can go back and forth between cad/cam and machine running in very little time... sharing usb sticks with gcode from winPC to linuxPC is not ideal as I need to make new code every 15 minutes... And Much better to have 1 PC then the need to have 2 computers.. Space.. cost...

thanks,
cheech

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 12:19 #82230 by Todd Zuercher
No, it won't work. Realtime Linux will have absolutely terrible (read that as unusable) latency running in a VM. It would be like trying to run Linuxcnc with an ordinary non realtime kernel.

More
29 Oct 2016 18:13 #82239 by jtc
I tried this, obviously without success ...

More
29 Oct 2016 20:42 - 29 Oct 2016 20:47 #82243 by Todd Zuercher
I don't recommend running a lot of other software on a computer running a machine. But you could probably run a VM within Linux to run your windows cad software. A better solution is to have your cad/cam pc and your Linuxcnc pc connected to a network with shared folders holding your machining files. You can also use remote desktop control (VNC) to access different computers (run your cad computer from the Linuxcnc one and visa versa.)

I use all of these networking solutions at work with my cad computer in my office and the Linuxcnc pcs at the machines. (I almost never use USBsticks for anything other than installing new software.)
Last edit: 29 Oct 2016 20:47 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cheech

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds