possible bug with 2.7.8 shut down of linuxcnc

More
18 Jan 2017 02:57 #86026 by OT-CNC
I checked the caps. They look good. At least from the top.
I did the memory card swap and all replicated the same error. I could not test individually on the upper 2 slots as that is not supported. After I reinstalled the 4 cards in the same slots, the error was still there but different. Instead of shutting down, linuxcnc just hung. Another time I hit esc to clear the dialogue box for entering Z coordianate relative to workpiece and it shut down. Oddly when the machine is homed, I can not replicate the shut downs. It only occurs when the machine is not homed. I also need to clarify that the home switches are currently not on the machine but are connected to the 7i77. I can manually toggle them to initiate a home condition. Does this look like a memory issue or homing issue? I will re-test with the homing switches mounted on the machine next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2017 03:27 #86031 by jmelson
Homing problems will certainly not hang LinuxCNC or crash the windows system. But, that bit about not being homed is sure odd. I don't even remember what the "end" key does anymore. Can you check what your graphics chip is on this system? (But, I'm fairly sure this computer is in the range of Optiplex models using Intel integrated graphics chips that have problems with the Debian kernels.)

lspci -v should give a report that shows the graphics chip type (plus everything else on the PCI bus).

Jon

More
18 Jan 2017 14:35 #86052 by OT-CNC
The end key brings up the " touch off (system) " box where you enter the coordinate relative to workpiece.
The home key on my keyboard is next to page up. It's suppose to bring up the warning prompt " this joint is already homed, are you sure you want to re-home?" if the machine is already homed. Its a combination of jogging with page up/down then hitting the adjacent end and home keys that kills it. Sometimes it's after the touch off prompt box appears. Also, in my hal, the homing routine is turned off for now on start up.
I'll set up the homing switches properly once they arrive and see if a correct homing sequence clears the issue. If not I'll try another computer or live with it as long as something else does not creep in.
I'm pretty sure the computer has an intel chip, I'll check when I'm back at the shop.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds