New to MESA

More
21 May 2017 12:59 #93435 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic New to MESA
There is a 5volt terminal specifically for 5 volt logic the 7i76 needs.
Seperate to that is the field power connector (orange terminal strip).
Leaving the default jumper, whatever you put on vin and ground will be for your field power. Re: inputs and outputs.
If you place the jumper to the right, you can provide vin a voltage (8 -32v), and a different voltage for the field output.
So you can supply three different voltages to the 7i76 if you like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 08:56 #93463 by racedirector
Replied by racedirector on topic New to MESA
Thank you guys, really helpful. I am about to install the 5i25 as I received the cards today and then I'll be able to visually see whats available to me!

More
22 May 2017 09:07 #93464 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New to MESA

Thank you guys, really helpful. I am about to install the 5i25 as I received the cards today and then I'll be able to visually see whats available to me!

Awesome, great to see another Aussie to the Mesa ecosystem. Prepare to be surprised with the performance you will get out of your steppers! My maximum expected RPM doubled....

More
22 May 2017 09:49 #93471 by racedirector
Really looking forward to that aspect, I can actually run at 1000ipm now (and that is bloody scary!!) but expect things to be smoother. Hoping it is like going from Mach 3 to Linuxcnc only better :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
22 May 2017 18:58 #93497 by uli12us
Replied by uli12us on topic New to MESA
If you need really small power only for some switches or an electronic Handwheel, than you can simply misuse the connector P3 in the bottom left of the board, or maybe better you take one of the 5V + ground connectors from one of the stepper or the encoder connector.

More
25 May 2017 13:44 #93618 by racedirector
Replied by racedirector on topic HELP!
I think I stuffed my 7i76!

Made up a cable with 25 pin IDC connectors to get the 7i76 outside my control box. When I plugged it in the 7i76 had some smoke escape and it looks the the U9 chip was the culprit. Anyone know what U9 is used for on the card and if, by chance, the card is still usable? If not can they be repaired because if not it was an expensive bloody cable stuff up.

More
25 May 2017 21:31 #93633 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic HELP!
Yes, if you happened to build the cable with one connector reversed and set up the
5I25/6I25 to supply 5V power to the 7I76, U9 and U12 could be damaged

We can fix this, just request RMA # from Mesa
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, racedirector

More
25 May 2017 22:41 - 25 May 2017 22:42 #93642 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic HELP!
I have the 7i76E, on it U9 is the EEPROM by the looks of it, PCW is the man to help here, but he is moving at the time so he must be busy.
Anyway, if that is the said EEPROM, something was very wrong with that cable, as it must have had plenty of power going BACK to 7i76.
Would suggest waiting a bit for PCW to chime in.
Regards,
Tom

And here he is!
Thank you Peter.
Last edit: 25 May 2017 22:42 by tommylight.

More
26 May 2017 09:36 #93652 by racedirector
Thanks PCW, I'll get in contact for an RMA.

Tommy, I think the IDC spikes went wrong, whatever power is coming from the parallel cable is what went through U9 for a split second.

Anyway, I have ordered another one from JT on speedy postage so hopefully that will now arrive next week.

I'll send this one back to Mesa and when that comes back will buy another 5i25 and put it into the other CNC I am putting back together.... or maybe use the combo in my lathe.....

More
26 May 2017 13:30 #93658 by racedirector
Wow, JT's service is beyond outstanding, I bought my replacement this afternoon and he has already shipped it. Can not recommend his service enough!

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.708 seconds