Help choosing hardware items

More
30 Dec 2021 04:20 #230315 by Tibu
Hi! What hardware components do you recommend for a 5-axis head-to-head milling machine if RTCP support is required? And how much would that cost?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2021 09:35 #230326 by Tibu
Replied by Tibu on topic Help choosing hardware items
Oops! I am primarily interested in the motion controller.

More
30 Dec 2021 13:10 #230335 by tommylight
Hard to answer as there are many possibilities, from using a parallel port with cheap drives like TB6600 for stepper or BTSnnnn arduino drives for servo, but i woukl go for a Mesa 7i95 for steppers or 7i97 for servo. There are also cheaper Mesa boards for stepper systems starting with 5i25 or 6i25 or 7i92.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tibu

More
30 Dec 2021 13:17 #230337 by Tibu
Thanks for the reply. I will clarify the question soon in terms of the expected parameters. (I just mediate the questions, an acquaintance of mine wants to build a machine).
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Dec 2021 20:09 #230358 by Tibu
Areas of application for the machine are plasma cutting and milling. The size of the working area is 2000x1000x600-800mm
The power of the selected servomotors is 2-3kW.

More
30 Dec 2021 22:06 #230367 by tommylight
Plasma cutting and milling do not mix together:
-plasma cutting requires fast cornering for cutting thin sheets, meaning low weight gantry and Z axis, small motors, belt driven or rack and pinion with significant reduction, high acceleration, no external forces acting on machine parts.
-milling is mostly the opposite, heavy everything, big motors, ballscrews or rack and pinion with much higher reduction, lots of forces on all moving parts, etc.
Also, 2-3KW motors are used in 15 ton machines, 0.75 to 1KW are more than enough for that size of router, 0.25-0.5KW are more than enough for plasma.
As a side note, it is much easier to build a plasma machine using stepper motors as plasma source produces huge amounts of interference, meaning if servos are used a lot of attention in regards to grounding and shielding.

More
30 Dec 2021 22:27 #230371 by Tibu
Many thanks! I will forward your comment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds