Recommended MESA board for setup

More
21 Feb 2022 21:51 #235479 by FHUGO
Hi all,

First time posting but regular trawler. 

I have decided to try make the switch to LinuxCNC but with my machine needing to be run a lot I am looking to do it with as little downtime as possible. 

I'm interested in going the MESA route because I have plenty of PC parts but don't want to rely on it for steps. Ideally I am after a MESA board or boards that will accommodate my machines requirements as the machine wont be upgraded much further.

Some specs:
5 closed loop stepper motors and HBS86 drivers (2 on the X-axis)
4 axis X,Y,Z and rotary A (5-axis for gantry squaring)
3 limit switches for homing (4 limits if gantry squaring) 
VFD Spindle controlled using PWM-DC 0-10v converter (not used for tapping or threading)
Coolant relay enabled (not spindle coolant)
Probing (currently only used for Z)
Enable/hold output for spindle coolant flow switch and drivers to stop program during fault events
Typical max feed is 10,000mm/m on Z and 20,000mm/min on X/Y but also occasionally go out to 50,000( over 20,000 not essential if a limiting factor and Z never exceeds 10,000) 
X/Y run 25steps/mm and Z runs 200steps/mm
Every input and output runs at 5vdc so all the higher voltage gear is run separately 

Cheers for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2022 22:18 #235480 by tommylight
Mesa 7i76E
Or
Mesa 7i95, just in case you want to close the loop in LinuxCNC.

More
21 Feb 2022 23:39 #235484 by FHUGO
Thanks Tommy

I forgot to mention I couldn't go 7i76E because of trouble sourcing it.

Other than price is there any big reason for peoples preference for the 7i76e over the 7i95?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Feb 2022 09:53 #235500 by tommylight
Not really, 7i95 has encoder inputs for all steppper outpts, as far as i know that is the only major difference.
I will be ordering a 7i95 soon, but takes over two months to get it.

More
02 Mar 2022 18:20 - 02 Mar 2022 18:24 #236203 by jtrantow
The HBS86 driver handles the motor encoders. I use similar closed loop drivers with my mill and have no problems using the drivers to close the loop (without running the motor encoders through LinuxCNC). I have the driver alarms connected to inputs running into e-stop latches. The closed loop stepper driver alarms catch 99% of mechanical problems (forgetting to unlock an axis, spindle bumping vice or clamp, etc..). Phase 1 of my mill project was glass scales and LinuxCNC just working as a DRO. When I updated, I kept the scales and use them as feedback. They gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to have an independent measurement but I don't think I would miss the scale encoders if they were gone.

On my mill, I use a 7i92 with a 7i85s for the XYZ and spindle encoders and a 7i75 breakout.

On my lathe, I use a 7i96. I use the expansion header to connect a G540 and use glass scales for the XZ encoders and another spindle encoder. Goal this week is to control the VFD with PWM (probably through the G540).

On my router, I use a parallel port connected to a G540 gantry. I used the four inputs for the XYZY homes and just ordered another parallel port so I can connect a tool length probe, 3d probe, VFD alarm, and power supply ok signals.

I'd definitely stick to the ethernet Mesa boards.

I'd recommend going with four limit/home switches for the gantry squaring. (I just committed an update for the 2.8 configs/by_interface/parport/gantry example.)
When you do your i/o count include pins for the driver alarms.
Does your VFD have an error output???
Does your power supply have an error output???
Last edit: 02 Mar 2022 18:24 by jtrantow.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds