Mesa 7i77 and CNC Mill Spindle Brake

More
03 Mar 2022 00:07 #236233 by Sierevello
Hello,

I have an Anilam Crusader M 3 axis mill and am getting ready to do a retrofit on it to Linux CNC. I am using the Mesa 5i25 and the 7i77 cards. 

I have manual tool changing on the mill. The spindle brake on the original mill uses an air cylinder tied to a 24v DC solenoid to apply and release the brake. When the program calls a new tool, the spindle is turned off and the brake applied. When tool change is complete you would hit "start" on the control and that would release the brake and start the spindle simultaneously.

How could I do this with the Mesa 7i77? 

Any help is greatly appreciated so I can draw the wiring diagram to get started.

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2022 00:30 #236235 by andypugh
You would presumably control the brake using a 7i77 GPIO pin.

The more complicated question is what signal in LinuxCNC HAL would control the brake.

It might be as simple as
net brake spindle.0.brake hm2_5i25.0.7i77..........NN

(sorry, but I don't know the 7i77 pin names without research)

More
03 Mar 2022 00:46 #236236 by Sierevello
If I use a VFD can I use a breaking resistor and the 24v NC/NO contacts to actuate the air solenoid for the brake? So when spindle is "on" contacts are closed. When new tool is called VFD breaks the spindle and the NO contacts operate the air cylinder for the brake. At spindle start, brake will disengage when 24 v is removed. Would that work? If so it sounds much simpler than doing anything in the HAL file.

Thanks!!!
-Steve

More
03 Mar 2022 18:57 - 03 Mar 2022 19:03 #236286 by Sierevello
I looked at an Automation Direct VFD that has a 24v DC control circuit (R10). Could I use that to turn the solenoid on  for the pneumatic brake actuator when the spindle is stopped so I can change tools? I have attached the page from the manual.  

Thanks,
Steve
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Mar 2022 19:03 by Sierevello. Reason: Double posted PDF

More
03 Mar 2022 19:00 - 03 Mar 2022 19:02 #236287 by Sierevello
Sorry I double posted the VFD info. I just figured out how to delete the 2nd one.

Thank You,

-Steve
Last edit: 03 Mar 2022 19:02 by Sierevello.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Mar 2022 00:07 #236299 by andypugh

If so it sounds much simpler than doing anything in the HAL file.

You only think that because you haven't used HAL yet. 

Doing it in HAL is far more adaptable, and the spindle brake will operate at the correct time. 

Don't do anything in hardware that you can do in software, it's much easier to change your mind in software. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds