New Board and Driver Development

More
25 Aug 2022 19:49 #250441 by RBC
Hi All-
I would like to get into developing my own hardware and hardware driver due to recent problems with shortage on hardware.  
I would like to start with EPP parallel port first.  Which driver source files are simple to use as a base or as a sample?  What would be a good IDE to compile and test the driver?  
Thanks,
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2022 20:14 #250445 by tommylight
Not sure what or why, there is already a driver for parallel port included in LinuxCNC that uses all the modes offered by it, be it IN, OUT or X mode.
There are also Mesa and Pico boards that use parallel port differently to enable more options and faster step rates.
For those there should be configs included with LinuxCNC so you can have a look there of at the source code on github.
If you mean developing an external controller/driver board, something like 3D printer boards with ethernet and drives, using Toshiba S109 drives or TMC high voltage ones would be nice.
But that would bring us back to the current chip shortage ...
Or am i missing something?

More
25 Aug 2022 20:41 #250451 by PCW

If you mean developing an external controller/driver board, something like 3D printer boards with ethernet and drives, using Toshiba S109 drives or TMC high voltage ones would be nice.

Ha! I did just this (using ST PowerStep01 chips= 85V 10A) Now unobtanium...
They don't even list a lead time, just "undefined"

Has anyone looked at parallel port  ECP mode with DMA?
(do modern ports even support DMA?)

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Aug 2022 20:42 #250452 by RBC
Thanks for your reply.
It will be similar to 7i43 EPP. Mesa boards are out of stock for a while according to Mesa. So I am looking for a solution to the shortage using other available ICs.
Also, having more options to me is always a good thing.

More
25 Aug 2022 20:50 #250453 by tommylight

Has anyone looked at parallel port  ECP mode with DMA?
(do modern ports even support DMA?)

I have always used ECP mode with DMA enabled, that is till you told me EPP is OK for LinuxCNC.
I have never looked at what the Enhanced options are, though.

More
25 Aug 2022 20:53 #250455 by RBC
I use this board. And it is working in EPP mode. I am not sure if they have what you are asking for.
The chipset is NCT6683.
download.mitacmct.com/Files/datasheets/motherboards/PD10BI.pdf

More
25 Aug 2022 22:53 - 25 Aug 2022 22:57 #250471 by jmelson

Thanks for your reply.
It will be similar to 7i43 EPP. Mesa boards are out of stock for a while according to Mesa. So I am looking for a solution to the shortage using other available ICs.
Also, having more options to me is always a good thing.

Note that Pico Systems has plenty of stock of the Universal Stepper Controller and Universal PWM Controller boards, and also the PPMC board set for analog servo drives.  These boards use FPGAs to accelerate encoder counting and step/PWM output.
Jon
Last edit: 25 Aug 2022 22:57 by jmelson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RBC

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds