PCIe to PCI adapter

More
17 Oct 2023 01:07 - 17 Oct 2023 01:49 #283149 by Nitram
PCIe to PCI adapter was created by Nitram
Hi Peter.

I am testing the connectivity of a 5i24 using a PCIe to PCI adapter.  The PC I am using is not the PC which runs my mill, but rather in the office. The adapter is in a single lane PCEe slot. 

1. Would it be a reasonable assumption to conclude that given I am able to "readhmid" and am seeing the 5i24 and actually getting the data from the 5i24 via this connection/adapter, that this would in turn work to run the mill via the 5i24 -> this adapter -> PCIe slot? 

2. Is there anything else worth checking I.e. through-put/speed of the adapter from PCIe through to the 5i24? And if so, is there a way to do this? I suspect anything faster than approx. 100-130MB/s would be fast enough (I.e. around the 133 mb/s native PCI speed), but is it possible/ necessary to test or check?

Thanks
Marty. 

Last edit: 17 Oct 2023 01:49 by Nitram.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2023 02:10 #283154 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic PCIe to PCI adapter
If readhmid works and is reliable, LinuxCNC should be fine

Speed is really not a big issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErrickW, Nitram

More
17 Oct 2023 09:37 - 17 Oct 2023 09:39 #283166 by Nitram
Replied by Nitram on topic PCIe to PCI adapter
For the record and to whomever it might help, I have now tried two different boards (different configurations/manufacturers) but both with ASM1083 chips for the PCIe to PCI conversion, and both work to the extent of being able to "readhmid" and get data from the FPGA chip.

So that said, they should work to run a machine if a new motherboard is needed which does not have a native PCI slot, but rather only PCIe slots.

The only caveat that I would add is that both of those boards have external power plugs (molex 4 pin, 12v and 5v), and they do need to be powered via this from an external source to work.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2023 09:39 by Nitram.

More
02 Jan 2024 14:39 #289568 by MrDude_1
Replied by MrDude_1 on topic PCIe to PCI adapter
Using an adapter like this is exactly what I am looking into right now.
I see its been a couple months. Have you tried either of these on the CNC yet?

My worry is that while it can talk, there will be a latency that causes issues. I just spent the morning looking into this before finding this thread. It appears that with older sound cards, they "work" but sometimes have a bit of digital static to them from some kind of latency/speed issue.

My worry is that if you can hear the issue with sound, its enough to become an issue with the card. However I dont know how critical the speed between the card and the motherboard is, compared to the card and the rest of the hardware. Depending on how it all works, maybe its a non-issue?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds