Anyone figured out how to get Trinamic's TMC5160 drivers working with LinuxCNC?

More
26 Dec 2023 09:02 - 26 Dec 2023 09:07 #289071 by rajhlinux
Finally some big beefy TMC5160 driver boards out, supports 60 DC Volts and 6 Amps, could be used for CNC metal milling:

www.amazon.com/BIGTREETECH-TMC5160T-Step...81-b373-0e5c1a776d5d

biqu.equipment/products/bigtreetech-tmc5...riant=40447047860322

I really want to use them on the PM-25mv bench mill converted to CNC due to it's "stealthchop" and alike features, would be used for the X and Y-axis closed-loop stepper motors, I think Z-axis should be ok which doesn't have heavy spindle motor.

Anyone figured out how to get the TMC5160 working with LinuxCNC?
I plan on getting a MESA card...

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Dec 2023 09:07 by rajhlinux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2023 09:21 #289075 by tommylight
Nothing to figure out there, 5160T plus works with step/dir so can be used even with parallel port.
The other types/models use SPI, no idea if those can be used with RPI, but should also be usable with a 3D printer board and Remora:
forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/42276-rem...ller-via-spi?start=0

More
26 Dec 2023 19:54 #289108 by cakeslob
SPI control mode, where you can use an encoder, no one is currently using this to control the steppers, and thus getting closed loop. i havent seen this mode supported anywhere really, except TMC sdk stuff.

Step/dir control mode - there is a user with the milo project using that driver, he is using the cfg jumpers to set the micro steps and step/dir for steps. connects like a normal driver.

step/dir mode with SPI cfg - used step/dir to control and SPI to configure the driver, this is what most 3d printer stuff uses. I havent seen this supported by linuxcnc before, with remora or otherwise
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2024 03:14 - 18 Feb 2024 03:37 #293664 by pl.studentoflife
I'm using those drivers currently. They are quite a beasty. It is possible to use them in standalone mode, but  i would advice against it if your motor is relatively low current (below 5A). I burnt one motor this way as setup of IRUN (with CFG pins) is half range up to full power - this is probably linear scale so 5 -10 A.

Best option is to have additional SPI capable device (arduino, rasperry pi, even 8081 probably would do) just to configure the driver(s).
Connect DIR/Step (and maybe DIAGs) to parallel/mesa card. 

Quite important to supply all 3 power inputs (took me some time to get figure this out)
- main board HV (0-60) 
- stepstick adapter VIO for logic (5V)
- stepstick adapter VM/ 24V (it can be lower - i'm  using 19.5V/4A now). As mentioned this input is exposed as VM on stepstick adapter - it should be used to  supply colling FAN but is also used to supply TMC internal voltage regulator and then some internal circuitry !!! 
As a observation it looks like this input require some power too like few amps (my 24V/1.6A died when suppling 3 drivers- was good with one).

Next step is just to tune parameters and you are set.

Last edit: 18 Feb 2024 03:37 by pl.studentoflife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2024 13:46 #293682 by tommylight
Some more info, just in case:
These heat a lot when enabled, use coolers, big ones, preferably with fans.
Stealthchop and (insert name here, can not recall right now) make motors run quietly but also introduce a bit of positioning error, infos are on manuals. Can also cause huge vibrations at higher speeds.
Been over a year since i dealt with 2208 and 2209, so a bit fuzzy on the details.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds