7i92T and second NIC card

More
31 Dec 2023 17:18 #289437 by edmarwjr
Hi.

I have a 7i92T MESA card connected directly to my PC (AMD 3GHz, 6 cores, 16Gb RAM).
I have Debian Bookworm from LinuxCNC-2.9.1 PREEMPT-RT ISO installation, updated to use 2.9.2. I am using KDE windows manager.

The board is configured with IP 10.10.10.10. The interface in my PC is configured as 10.10.10.1
The net interface is embedded in the motherboard. 
This setup works fine.

I want to add a second NIC to access the internet. I have a small wifi card around (tp-ling rev 2.0), and I installed it
with DHCP, the net of my router is 192.168.50.*

The board connects fine with internet, but it become impossible to use LinuxCNC. I get "Error finishing read"
in a mater of seconds. I tried to decrease priority of this interface (KDE settings), disconect the wifi link, delete configuration, etc.. The only way I can make LinuxCNC to work again is if I physically remove the card from the PC.

I know that is possible to have 2 cards with LinuCNC (one dedicated to CNC and the other to the internet).
But I cannot make this one to work.

Is it because it is wifi ?
Is it KDE not handling the board correct ? (I would rather not switch to Xfce, but if it is the only way to make this work, I can do it)
Does anyone has a recomendation of a NIC that is know to work in this situation ?

Thanks
Edmar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2023 17:22 #289438 by edmarwjr
Replied by edmarwjr on topic 7i92T and second NIC card
The wifi board is:

tp-link TL-WN881ND
300MHz PCI express

More
31 Dec 2023 17:51 #289440 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i92T and second NIC card
I have heard of issues like this with mini-PCIE WIFI cards, in general
USB WIFI/Ethernet dongles are less invasive ways to add local network
access.

You might try pinging the Mesa card with the WIFI adapter installed
and not installed to see if it shows a measurable  difference there.

More
12 Jan 2024 16:42 #290509 by edmarwjr
Replied by edmarwjr on topic 7i92T and second NIC card
First I bought a cheap adpter at Amazon. Unfortunately, it required to compile a separate Linux kernel driver, which in turn would require to re-compile the kernel.

I found this link which lists hardware that are already supported inside the kernel (well, it means the driver is already part of the kernel sources, no need for separated compilation)

github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/h...in-kernel_drivers.md

I bought one from AliExpress: Comfast CF-953AX, around $15. It took several weeks, but it works like a charm at 5GHz. (Note: Need to use the machine a little longer to be 100% sure) The kernel module that is required for this adapter is already part of the LinuxCNC-2.9.1 PREEMPT-RT ISO

P.S. Pinging the mesa card w/ and w/o adapter showed less than 5% variation in the times

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds