THCad2 Meter question

More
20 Apr 2024 12:54 #298722 by FlaredFins
I finally got the enclosure finished and all wired in to use the THCad2 as my height controller. as you can see in the images, I've attached I installed a DC volt meter to measure the output voltage for the 50:1 divider from the hypertherm. My reasoning for this is just past experience in using a faulty Price CNC height controller in Mach 4. I was able to determine the read out on the Price was faulty and doing bad math as the voltage coming out of the hypertherm was the correct cut voltage. 

So my question is in attaching the volt meter in the manner I did am I creating any risk as in the possibility of reducing the voltage out or rather just the output (pulses) I cant remember how it out puts the info for the voltage for the THCad2 I dont think in doing this will damage the THCad2 but Im not 100% in that thought so I thought I would ask the people who are a little more versed in this board. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2024 05:32 #298759 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THCad2 Meter question
This is linuxcnc. The thcad will be a far more robust and accurate instrument than your volt meter. I would bypass it altogether. You can debug torch voltage by checking the encoder velocity and then the calculated voltage in halshow. Its very easy to isolate faults.

For best accuracy, Please set your divider in the Hypertherm to 20:1 and use the 10v scale on the thcad. This will give you a 200 volt full scale. This gives the maximum resolution possible. Any excursions beyond this limit will be on piercing when we don't care. Remember the thcad can handle 500 V overvoltage indefinitely....

More
21 Apr 2024 13:33 #298776 by FlaredFins
Replied by FlaredFins on topic THCad2 Meter question
Ok that kind of makes sense, I'm still digging around in halshow. i was able to verify my Prox-Box is wired up correctly through it the other day. I finally got my panel mounted yesterday so I'll be soldering up all the wire connections i was holding off on. Hopefully this week I'll be running real tests.

Lol Hopefully people won't get offended by my Mach 4 references. It's the only reference tool I have right now. lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
22 Apr 2024 14:03 #298838 by FlaredFins
Replied by FlaredFins on topic THCad2 Meter question
I forgot to ask if I do set the Hypertherm to 20:1 and set it to 10v scale is there a resistor or something that needs to go in the loop on that? I've seen so many diagrams lately and can't remember which was what.

More
22 Apr 2024 19:45 #298858 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THCad2 Meter question
No resistor needed, it is on the divider.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds