Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades

More
20 Oct 2011 17:53 #14077 by robh
Here are some inprogress pics of our CHNC1

old control was Simens 810T , plc on it fell over with a memory problem so EMC will take over :) will be our 4th /4rd lathe now

we are chaning the old DC motors to AC 1kw setup and upping its speed alittle also on X and Z
also chanign the turret from Air motor to servo driven so quite abit of mods etc to happen on the turret side

machine with new monitor fitting 17"

Photo of the servo that will drive the turret when finished, mounting housing made

PC & Mesa hardware nearly finished mounting

Spindle , relays etc

rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2011 12:35 #14215 by BigJohnT
Hi Rob,

Nice! Be making chips soon on that one.

John

More
31 Dec 2011 18:45 #16159 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Re:CHNC-1 Retrofit & Upgrades
just a little update.. while eating me Turkey sarnies i did abit more on the old CHNC conversion

PC Board fitted, Mesa brakeouts and made a IO panel for all wires coming in

after abit of modding and making brackets X motor Fitted, Air feed pipes fitted to new block for turret lift.
1:1 belt gearing
much more todo yet

Close fit on X motor but we got it in there.. had to modd the Lube feed block to get full travel :)

fitted all drives and nearly finished up doing the interface wiring now

More
31 Dec 2011 19:04 #16162 by BigJohnT
I like how you did the Honda plugs, real neat install. Can't ever get all the chips out can you...

Looking real good, be in production soon I'd bet.

John

More
01 May 2012 20:54 #19723 by robh
here is a nice video of it in action doing a simple little job

More
01 May 2012 20:59 #19724 by BigJohnT
I love it when a plan comes together... looking good Rob. Love the coolant color can't tell if you've cut yourself or not.

John

More
11 Jul 2012 06:44 - 11 Jul 2012 15:49 #21779 by Alloy Craft
Looks pretty smooth, very nice. With all that work you did to get the turret servo on there, I was hoping to see the turret index. Anyway where did you get the pulleys and belts for the axis drives? Also what Mesa cards are you using on this one?
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 15:49 by Alloy Craft. Reason: wrong question

More
11 Jul 2012 15:27 #21791 by bobinater
Hey rob

How much different is the chnc from the hnc other than the enclosure ?

Your machine is very impressive, love the coolant. and is it set up for constant surface speed?

More
11 Jul 2012 18:05 #21798 by robh
Alloy Craft wrote:

Looks pretty smooth, very nice. With all that work you did to get the turret servo on there, I was hoping to see the turret index. Anyway where did you get the pulleys and belts for the axis drives? Also what Mesa cards are you using on this one?

this is one thing i do keep meaning to make a video off
but as CHNC is used for 2nd opp work 99% of the time, i never realy have a good video to make of turret index's as we allways gang up 2 or more tools on the square turret you see.

but turret is working perfect, it does realy want a new gear in there tho. to make it truly zero backlash on the worm and 3 gears..
we are so bussy tho we dont realy have time or urgent need for it. only thing we need to fix is the collet coloser as that thing just eats air now. looking to put a new hydrolic unit on.

rob

More
11 Jul 2012 18:08 #21800 by robh
bobinater wrote:

Hey rob

How much different is the chnc from the hnc other than the enclosure ?

Your machine is very impressive, love the coolant. and is it set up for constant surface speed?

hi

the main difference is the 16C collets over the 5C collets..
a HNC is grate machine for 2nd opps and small parts.. the CHNC is also but for us not very offten we find we need the 16C size range.. as 5C would cover 80% of work gets put on it.

travels are the same on X and Y, some dont have the top parting slide with them but they both take same unit, its just Air over hydrolic tho so it eats air and can be a pain if not used for awhile, we very rarly use outs beacsue of that.

yes
constant surface speed, Rigid tapping, etc etc
anything EMC can do it can do and more.

rob

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds