Press Brake CNC Control & G-Code

More
08 Apr 2017 02:59 #91025 by Todd Zuercher
I think a D525 Atom would really struggle with trying to run a prempt-RT kernel. (as in i doubt it would be very usable.) But I could be wrong, never tried it. They do run the RTAI kernel reasonably well, but that isn't what you need for the 7i76e.

Newer more powerful cpus usually work better for Prempt-RT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2017 09:11 #91077 by andypugh
FWIW the test=board in my living room is an old D510MO board and that is currently running preempt RT while I play with a 7i80DB and the STMBL servo drivers. That's working fine, but I am not trying to do anything with the GUI. I generally use it through ssh, though it is plugged into the TV, so isn't actually running headless.

More
09 Apr 2017 11:04 #91082 by bymccoy
Okay, that's good to know. Only reason I ask, is that I've got an embedded touchscreen unit for HMI control, that I was considering fitting for interfacing with the PLC, but if it's running Linux, I could just as well have it run the CNC part too. It would however need to run at least one UI (LinuxCNC) and a web browser (for a Java embedded PLC HMI). Long term I can create functionality in the LinuxCNC UI for monitoring/controlling the PLC via modbus, so then just one UI. But sounds like a moderate PC with a touchscreen will do the job.

So I'm very close to ordering the boards (need to today/tomorrow to get them midweek), so my shopping list now looks like:
- 7i76E (for press brake)
- 7i85S (encoder board)
- 7i76E (for router)

I'm also thinking that if the 7i76E work out, I'll eventually swap the 5i25/7i76 on the VMC, and then use that 7i76 for the extra IO on the press brake's 7i76E...

More
14 Apr 2017 10:14 #91349 by bymccoy
Okay, electronics all in hand, new electrical drawings complete, time to start wiring it up!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to build the HMI. Without getting devisive, what's the best UI and panel architecture for LinuxCNC, on the basis that my needs are:
- DRO
- soft buttons/HMI to interface with PLC (via ModBus TCP)
- some basic controls for jogging/positioning axis
- home offset buttons (for setting home based on a measured offset)
- setting top dead centre and mute points along Y0 axis

Once I've got the basics running, I'll be adding lots more functionality progressively:
- tool library (with axis offsets)
- MDI (maybe G-code)
- program sequences
- 2D and/or 3D bend preview
- program library with lookup (via a web API, allowing use of bar code scanner to select the program)
- "teach" or other manual functionality for on the fly programming and saving
- photo/video previews of parts
- control/programming of positioning lights (LED multi-colour strip that'll show the area to insert part for next bend, and/or where tooling should be fitted etc)
- and probably more.

Wanting a UI that'll work for touch operation, but will have a keyboard mounted under display, so don't need onscreen keyboard (but option is handy). Most of the UI layout will be bespoke too.

Where's the best combo to start with that won't limit me later on? I've worked with lots of weird and wonderful UIs before, but don't have the time to go down that rabbit hole again of committing to one and the having to port to another (then another) as limitations are reached!

Thanks!

More
14 Apr 2017 10:22 #91350 by andypugh
Is there an existing UI that you like? Possibly copy that.

Are you planning to build a UI from scratch?

More
14 Apr 2017 11:25 #91352 by bymccoy
I'd rather not build from scratch, but not sure if there's anything that fits the bill without having to rip most of it apart...

What did you build the tube bender demo in?

I'm also tempted to swap the stock desktop and move to OpenBox (no widgets or menus, just a grey desktop and auto-starting LinuxCNC app). I don't like most of the new Linux desktop themes, so looking for a UI that I can build something simple and crisp with. I spotted a UI that someone built in another thread (forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/26174-screen-...signs?start=10#34210) built on Axis in TCL, but is that just a desktop theme or is that inside Axis itself?

Happy to use Python - have built digital signage apps using Python (and even JavaScript)... but obviously want something fairly robust.

What I would super-love too, is something that I can use as an HMI platform for interfacing with ModBus devices (not seen anything Linux based, and having a single environment for CNC and general motion/control projects would be awesome).

More
14 Apr 2017 12:37 #91360 by andypugh

IWhat did you build the tube bender demo in?.

That is a simple embedded tab in the LinuxCNC "Touchy" interface.

More
16 Apr 2017 20:53 #91474 by bymccoy
Hi Andy

Ended up just spinning up a VM on MacBook and installing LinuxCNC to have a play with the UIs. I spend most of my time on Linux command lines, so started headless and then installed OpenBox and LinuxCNC.

I was shocked at how easy install is - the docs make it sound like a really difficult process and push users toward the ISO. My first install was under time constraints so I used the ISO and have had really bad latency issues on the machine. Why is the ISO so bloated? Would make sense that an ISO would be a minimum install of Debian with something like OpenBox and optionally an app launcher. Even in a VM, it's outperforming the dedicated box with the ISO. Anyway, I'll fix that with a reinstall this week!

So, I installed 2.7 and then realised your demo was for 2.8. As I want to use my mods in production over the next few weeks, is there an easy way to back port the demo to 2.7 for my reference? Unless 2.8 will be production in next few weeks...

More
16 Apr 2017 22:15 #91480 by andypugh

So, I installed 2.7 and then realised your demo was for 2.8. As I want to use my mods in production over the next few weeks, is there an easy way to back port the demo to 2.7 for my reference?

It should just be a case of taking the EMBED_TAB command from the INI file and the glade/python files into a 2.7 install.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bymccoy

More
17 Apr 2017 12:52 #91513 by bymccoy
Cool, will try and have a play with it in the VM.

Hopefully with get to grips with the inner workings once I start playing with it. Feel a noob at the moment, as have only been playing with it as a "user" whilst I'm converting machines. Looking forward to hacking it to suit :)

Anybody hooked the UI into any web services or with HTML tabs? Want to have part programmes in our job management system, and load them with barcode/part number lookups. Pics etc and even videos showing the process would be handy. I built a Python embedded web browser for interactive kiosks a few years back (maybe in PyGTK? Can't recall), so would be easy enough to integrate...

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds