Flood victim retrofit.

More
15 Jul 2022 09:48 #247360 by M4MazakUser
Starting on a flood victim retrofit. Just got a shenzing?? 
8" chuck with tailstock etc (2007). It was 4m under water. Looking at salvaging what we can. The servo motors and spindle motor etc.im not to interested in saving most of the control stuff and will swap most things for mesa. More pictures and progress to follow. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2022 10:38 #247362 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Flood victim retrofit.
I would expect the motors to be fine, they are well sealed.
Even if they got water in them, not much silt would have got in.

You might as well clean off the control stuff and see if it immediately goes "pop" then see what you have left at the end.

More
15 Jul 2022 11:20 #247370 by M4MazakUser
Replied by M4MazakUser on topic Flood victim retrofit.
Yeah, I'm not that experienced with fanuc drives and interfacing to them, I'll strip them and clean them, but from what I've read so far, it may be easier to replace them with mesa drives. I could be wrong but I've read that the fanuc motors with the red caps have normal encoders fitted.

More
15 Jul 2022 12:22 #247373 by andypugh
The pinouts of the encoders are linked at the bottom of pico-systems.com/fanuc_pins.html
(Note that the tables at the top are for the Pico red-cap converter board)

If using Mesa drives (eg 8i20) then I think that you would do the conversion in software / HAL with the "bldc" component as the 8i20 needs commutation data from HAL anyway.

More
19 Jul 2022 10:02 #247755 by M4MazakUser
So... as far as connection, if the fanuc drives work, I can supply them with +10v/-10v and connect the encoder thru a mesa card???

More
19 Jul 2022 10:08 #247756 by andypugh

So... as far as connection, if the fanuc drives work, I can supply them with +10v/-10v and connect the encoder thru a mesa card???

Yes. In fact I have seen those motors run with a parallel port and generic brushless motor driver (though not very well, it was just a testing setup)

More
21 Jul 2022 11:07 #247930 by M4MazakUser
Looks like the servo drive is a loss, it seems to be optically controlled, the spindle drive has an analog overide or such that seems to take a voltage signal. But I can't see direction. And the communication between the old control and the drive seems to be a proprietary language.

More
27 Jul 2022 12:20 #248414 by M4MazakUser
Hey, you are correct about the motors, dry and free to turn, amazing for being under 4m of water for 2 days!
What sort of daughter card (mesa) should the encoders be connected to, they are absolute type fanuc ones. So should be able to use the bldc component, pity about the wait on the mesa drives.

More
27 Jul 2022 12:56 #248415 by andypugh

What sort of daughter card (mesa) should the encoders be connected to

I think that you need to talk to Mesa. My first choice would probably be the 7i94, possibly with a 7i84 for general IO.
But you would need to check with Mesa that a firmware for that board with the Fanuc absolute module exists (and I am assuming that the encoders are RS422 level and fit in an 8P8C...)

The following user(s) said Thank You: M4MazakUser

More
04 Aug 2022 11:43 #249024 by M4MazakUser
Have ordered several mesa boards,  looks like a long wait on mesa servo drive boards... anyone have success interfacing in to a fanuc keypad? It has 2x 50 pin headers and a 25pin female serial plug. I'll pinout it soon.
I've started stripping out the electrical cabinet. Its all covered in fine clay. The 220v transformer looks good now after hosing off and sitting in front of a 3phase 15a heater for 3 days... took ages to get it hot!
looking at changing both screw thrust bearings, but trying to save the ball nuts.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds