Fanless power supplies?

More
07 Jul 2023 20:52 #274967 by knipknap
I have step by step improved my machine to run it as silently as possible, except for one part: The power supply of my servos, which is by far the loudest part of my machine. It is much louder even than the cutting noise of the spindle (when the enclosure door is closed, of course).

The reason I haven't changed it yet is that I simply didn't find a fanless one that gives me confidence it might work.

My servos: 4x IHSV57-30-18-36 (180W each)
Current power supply: Cheap chinese one, rated at 16,7A, 600W. I'm running it at 42V.

In this setup, it is running fine, even though the specs of the servos actually state some insane requirements like 15A max each.
Measuring the input power going to the servos, it practically never gets anywhere close to these 600W (closer to 200W on average), though I am using a cheap power meter that certainly wouldn't detect short peaks.

The only fanless PS I found in the same 600W + 36-43V range is the Meanwell HLG-600H. But that is a "LED power supply" and the data sheet has no info on peak vs. average power:

www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/HLG-600H/HLG-600H-SPEC.PDF

Any recommendations?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2023 21:07 #274969 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Fanless power supplies?
Take the lid of the power supply out, make a hole for a 120mm PC fan, put it back and put a fan on the outside.
The small 40mm fans on those power supplies do 15000RPM so they are unbearable.
If you do not have an old PC fan, get 2 or 3 Arctic 120mm or 140mm if you can fit it there, they are cheap and very good quality, used over 60 of those. Get the F120 or F140 version, they push more air than the P120 or P140.
The following user(s) said Thank You: knipknap

More
07 Jul 2023 21:12 #274971 by knipknap
Replied by knipknap on topic Fanless power supplies?
I did consider changing out the fan, but only inside and there's not enough space for a bigger one.

I did not "think outside the box" ;-), that does sound like an option. Though I don't have a lot of space where it's at, it might just about work. I will check more exactly!

More
07 Jul 2023 21:23 #274973 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Fanless power supplies?
Arctic has the above mentioned fans in thinner versions, normal are 25mm thick, the thin ones are 15mm thick.

More
07 Jul 2023 22:14 #274976 by knipknap
So, I disassembled the whole thing to find out the voltage of the fan, and it turns out it is built into the short side of the power supply, so there's no option to just make it bigger in the same place.

On the plus side, I found that inside the PS there may be just enough space to put a 92mm/14mm fan on another side while keeping airflow ok, except this would exhaust the warm air directly towards my VFD :-/.

In short, I may have to re-layout my electrical box if I do need to add the bigger fan.

More
08 Jul 2023 03:22 #274988 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Fanless power supplies?

Any recommendations?

Maybe consider changing to a toroidal power supply?

Here's a 600w, 44v model:

www.antekinc.com/ps-6n44-600w-44v-power-supply/

You can usually find similar linear PSU's on ebay as well.

You can also likely get away with a much smaller/cheaper one as the linear PSU's can take a significant intermittent overload.  You mentioned you're really only seeing about 200w average, and the 400W 44v from Antek is $30 cheaper.

Reason I mention it is that you can now just use a general enclosure cooling fan and make sure there's some airflow over the toroidal PSU - but it shouldn't need a huge fan blowing straight on it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: knipknap

More
08 Jul 2023 11:25 #275026 by knipknap
That's another good option! It looks like it's probably the best approach, in terms of meeting the specs of the servos.

I actually ordered a fan already to test if I can make it fit, but if not, then that would become my plan.

Thanks for the suggestions!

More
09 Jul 2023 13:47 #275076 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Fanless power supplies?
The "LED" part is because it has a constant current mode. I think that
means that it will have extra current regulation circuitry that you
don't want or need.

Are you searching specifically for "fanless" ? There are lots of PSUs
out there with no fan, having no fan is so common that it isn't even
mentioned. I think you will need to look at the pictures to be sure.

More
10 Jul 2023 19:12 #275152 by knipknap
Alright, I installed a bigger (92mm/15mm) fan in the existing power supply and made some changes in my electrical cabinet to accommodate for the fact that the PS it blows air to the side now.

It is not perfect, but much quieter, maybe a little bit less than half as loud. Good enough for now.

If it ever breaks I will certainly try another power supply though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Jul 2023 15:25 #275351 by Roguish
Replied by Roguish on topic Fanless power supplies?
I second the Antek toroid power suppy recommendation....I have one for my large DC brushed motors and it's very good.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds