Oiling/Greasing smaller linear bearings

More
19 Aug 2023 02:37 #278436 by supermoto
Ive got some MGN15 rails and bearings and also some 12mm versions.

I cannot find a little oil can with a small enough tip/nozzle that will press on the little ball and fill the bearings with lubrication.  What are you guy using for this purpose?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2023 07:49 #278444 by tommylight
A 10 cent syringe with needle, whatever oil i bump into.
Although i have MGN9 and MGN12.
Everything above HGH25 i have, has a nipple for oil/grease.

More
19 Aug 2023 10:59 #278455 by supermoto
I also have varying sized syringes, but I dont find them to fit that well in the little "zerk".

The oil just comes out of the hole im putting it in.  Or are you just using the syringe to put lube on the rails/screws directly and not into the bearing blocks?

More
19 Aug 2023 11:12 - 19 Aug 2023 11:14 #278456 by supermoto
The pic shows the smallest of the nipples. (For my Zaxis 12mm rails)

The syringe that's there is 0.050" dia.  It's the closest size just smaller than the hole. But the ball of the nipple seals off the dispensing hole of the syringe. If i try and angle it, the oil comes out the top. I don't feel like anything is getting into the bearings. 

It's even worse for the bottom bearings that are inverted.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Aug 2023 11:14 by supermoto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Aug 2023 12:53 #278460 by tommylight

Or are you just using the syringe to put lube on the rails/screws directly and not into the bearing blocks?

For the small ones, i use the needle and shove it between the rail and rubber wiper, carefully as not to nick the rubber.
HGH25 from HiWin, removing the nipple, some syringes fit perfectly in the opening, i used this often while i was building the machine, oil i can deal with but grease noooo, i waste a lot of time washing my hands during work.
When the machine is finished, then grease.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supermoto

More
19 Aug 2023 14:45 - 19 Aug 2023 14:48 #278466 by supermoto
I see.

I'll try the smaller syringe and slide it between the wiper and rail for the small ones and see how that goes.

I'm just used to larger machines that either have auto lube systems or large enough nipples that your standard hardware store oil can brass nozzle fits perfectly. It's enough to depress the ball and has enough pressure to fill the blocks. I usually fill until it starts to come out of the wipers. 
This is particularly handy when the nipple is upside down and you have to force lubrication in the upward direction into the bearings. 
Last edit: 19 Aug 2023 14:48 by supermoto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds