LinuxCNC Tutorial 01 - Good Wiring Practice

More
18 May 2015 21:34 #58821 by JoeHildreth
lead_injection,

First, sorry for the delayed reply. I have been away from the computer the past week trying to get my workshop wired up.

The info you have given will make some great additions to the Tutorial. The PDF you mention, perhaps I am overlooking, but I don't see an attachment. Can you send it to me at joeh at threerivershospital dot com. If you would give it a subject of LinuxCNC Tutorial so I don't overlook it would be a bonus. I will give it a read and make the changes to the tutorial. Also, is there any copyright on the document that I need to observe? Can it be freely distributed?

Again, thank you for the input. My end goal is to give the new comer the best opportunity I can to get them off on the right foot. (Rather than doing what I done with my wiring job, which violated about every convention i wrote about.)

When the tutorial is finished, I plan to make a video of my rewire job, showing what I originally done and the problems it was exhibiting and then the steps taken to wire it correctly.

Regards,

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2015 21:43 #58822 by JoeHildreth
Hi Jake,

I think with the above changes it is a solid tutorial, I have been working on getting into the CNC end of things and have a huge mountain to learn in front of me. I am a industrial/powerplant electrician and deal with many aspects of the CNC machines, it is the computer interface to hardware that has be tied up.

Well I have the opposite problem. I manage a Hospital's Network infrastructure and have not done much wiring. I have built my second CNC machine and have come a long way, but I still have loads to learn. I am developing a series of tutorials to help new comers to the hobby. I started this endeavour on how to add a touchoff plate which started with finding and input pin, the gcode, etc, etc. When i ran into an issue of noise interfering with the signal. The folks here were very kind and patient with me to help me identify the problem. But ultimately, what I discovered was that I had to back up an punt. So I started with this tutorial on wiring. When it has been finalized and I finish the video portion, I will go back to the touchoff plate tutorials.

I only have experience in open loop stepper systems, so unfortunately, my series of planned tutorials may not be of as much help to those with VFD and servo systems.

But for those just entering into the arena, I hope it gives them a good foundation of working examples to get them off on a good foot.

Thanks for the comments. :-)

Regards,

Joe

More
18 May 2015 22:05 #58823 by Jake
One thing maybe to put in there is labeling. Label every wire on the equipment and have everything labeled on your drawings. That can make troubleshooting much much easier. Every single wire and cable assembly has a identifier where I work, so you can look at drawings and find the cable/wire in the field and where it goes to. Makes it nice when there are thousands of miles of cable and wire in our plant.

More
18 May 2015 22:14 - 18 May 2015 22:14 #58824 by JoeHildreth
Great suggestion Jake. I don't know how much network cable I have run at the hospital, but I have been accused of being label happy. Wall plates, fiber runs, back planes, PC's etc. :-D

I will be sure to add it. I am still working on my workshop this week, so please be patient with me on getting the update finished.

Joe
Last edit: 18 May 2015 22:14 by JoeHildreth. Reason: typos

More
18 May 2015 22:51 #58826 by JoeHildreth

One thing maybe to put in there is labeling. Label every wire on the equipment and have everything labeled on your drawings. That can make troubleshooting much much easier. Every single wire and cable assembly has a identifier where I work, so you can look at drawings and find the cable/wire in the field and where it goes to. Makes it nice when there are thousands of miles of cable and wire in our plant.

Jake,

I have added a section to the tutorial about documentation. I have included your suggestion about labelling wires there and gave you credits at the bottom. Thanks again for making it a little better!

Regards,

Joe

More
19 May 2015 05:46 #58840 by tommylight
I just read the whole thread, and i really did not need it, but it is a properly written tutorial that can be of use to a lot of people in this forum. I have read and tried to help many times regarding wiring and grounding and noise in many forums, especially for HV/HF start plasma cutters, they tend to produce huge amounts of interference when striking an arc and when going from high voltage to low voltage and high power ( actual cutting ). I did a lot of troubleshooting on them, built a lot of them, maintain and service them, so have plenty experience.
I have also worked with, installed and configured large scale computer and CCTV networks, so a lot of things described here apply there too.
Keep the good work.
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoeHildreth

More
12 Feb 2024 08:27 #293142 by tommylight
Spammer booted.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds