How to setup a tool table correctly for manual tool change

More
19 Oct 2016 10:41 #81829 by Spectre
I am running V2.7.7 I have read a couple of wiki and also threads on here. I just spent a couple of hourse trying to get my tool heights set in the tool table. All referenced to a Haimer 3D sensor set to 0 on the vice edge as my G43. I have gone through all of my tools and set the heights and what comes up in the tool table list just does not make any sense. A lot of the documentation is old and does not seem to conform correctly to V2.7.7

Do anyone know of any documentation of how PRACTICALLY to do it step by step please

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 17:33 #81893 by andypugh
There are a number of ways to do it. This is what works for me.

My mill has a tighening/measuring station on the end of the table. I measure the tool lengths with a height gauge using this fixture.
This means that each tool length is measured from an almost-arbitrary point on the taper itself.
As long as I touch-off the work with the probe, and the probe-length is set correctly in the tool table, it all works.
I use the Touchy interface. This uses an obvious G10 in the MDI window for tool setting. But I have to edit that to enter an absolute tool length. (I need G10 L1 but the system defaults to G10 L10 with an option in settings to choose G10 L11)

You probably want G10 L11 and to set the G59.3 offsets to suit
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g10-l10

More
20 Oct 2016 21:46 #81905 by Spectre
I posted this in another thread but videos on this subject for Lcnc are very scarce

The following user(s) said Thank You: Marsbar, Vector

More
24 Feb 2021 11:39 #199959 by Marsbar
I found the video thread that you (Spectre) posted really helpful. Thank you

Does anyone know how to change the tool table measurements to metric?
Everything is in imperial.
I have looked through Hal and Ini and the LCNC documentation but there doesn't seem to be anything I can change.

I am using Axis 2.7.14

More
24 Feb 2021 11:53 #199964 by andypugh

]Does anyone know how to change the tool table measurements to metric?

LinuxCNC is internally metric. Except for the Axis UI.

Look in the INI under [TRAJ]LINEAR_UNITS

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds