LinuxCNC as a PLC

More
29 Dec 2016 13:01 #84849 by bevins
LinuxCNC as a PLC was created by bevins
Hi all,

I have a small project where I would need some plc action. 20 ins and 20 outs about and maybe more.

My thoughts are as follows:

Use 5i25 with 7i74, 7i70 and 7i71

Use classic ladder to do the plc stuff, but have no typical GUI instead a custom gui interface showing some ins and outs and adjusting a few things via the GUI. Definate use of HAL is required.

Instead of embarking on learning a whole new system re: Beremiz, I am comfortable and have confidence in Mesa and linuxcnc.

What I dont know is if it is possible to use Linuxcnc without the typical frontend...... but able to bring up the classicladder interface and use a custom inteface.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks,

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2016 14:36 #84852 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC
Yes it is. It is possible to to just load hal, and Classicladder. (You can even do it from halcmd).

But it might be more cost effective and practical to just to use a true plc. There are rather inexpensive and simple to configure ones out there such as the Click ones from Automation Direct.
www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Ca...cro_Brick)/PLC_Units

More
29 Dec 2016 14:44 #84853 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC

Yes it is. It is possible to to just load hal, and Classicladder. (You can even do it from halcmd).

But it might be more cost effective and practical to just to use a true plc. There are rather inexpensive and simple to configure ones out there such as the Click ones from Automation Direct.
www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Ca...cro_Brick)/PLC_Units

yes I have a few of their PLC's. DL05 and DL06's. I used them on alot of projects. Problem is I need to interface it with a GUI.
I know they have ability but the software is expensive and proprietory. I am limited to what they think I need.

I would need an interface to query the status of ins and outs and some graphics etc.......

More
29 Dec 2016 14:59 - 29 Dec 2016 15:09 #84855 by Todd Zuercher
I thought the software for configuring the user interfaces from Automationdirect is free (but probably has to run in Windows).

Oops, guess I was wrong. (but it isn't terribly expencive.)
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 15:09 by Todd Zuercher.

More
29 Dec 2016 15:23 #84856 by Todd Zuercher
If you don't have to have a touch screen, This UI/display's configuration software is free (if you download it $25 for the CD).
www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Ca...Accessories/EA3-T6CL

More
29 Dec 2016 23:27 #84887 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC

If you don't have to have a touch screen, This UI/display's configuration software is free (if you download it $25 for the CD).
www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Ca...Accessories/EA3-T6CL

Oh yeah? I thought it was in the thousands. I bought the software to program them which 10 years back it was 500.00.

Anyway, Don't talk me out of it...lol I am using linuxcnc.

More
01 Jan 2017 01:38 #84985 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC
Yes, you can do this. Perhaps an RPi or something similar would be appropriate?

The Udoo board has a lot of IO in an Arduino pinout. You need an ARM version of LinixCNC , and that's something of a project rather than a simple download, but it would work.

For a one-off, probably too much trouble given that an x86 PC can be <$100.

More
06 Jan 2017 04:20 #85322 by Benb
Replied by Benb on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC
Advancedhmi is free software program for building operator screens. It's easy to use to build virtual operator screens by dragging and dropping widgets into the screen and filling up forms to attache widget variables to PLC memory. They have Modbus driver which is the most widely supported protocol in the industry.

www.advancedhmi.com
Also check this site if you would like to script your own protocol
Using AdvancedHMI's PLC drivers with C#
www.mesta-automation.com

More
05 Apr 2017 19:50 #90943 by comjon
Replied by comjon on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC
I am interested in what you are trying to achieve. You say you want to use LinuxCNC, but no need for the UI, only ladder and HAL.

For several years (yes years on weekends) I have been trying to work with the MTConnect protocol inside the Robot Operating System (ROS) library. The MTConnect code is here: github.com/mtconnect/ros_bridge/tree/mas...s_bridge/scripts/src

and you can find instructions for the build of ROS in Eclipse on the internets.

I am close to cracking this puzzle, but I could use a second test person. I don't know (or like) Python, so that makes it tricky, I am facing some TCP/IP issues, and I know I likely will end up breaking CORS security to test what I am writing, but it sounds like this might be a solution you are looking for.

More
05 Apr 2017 21:24 #90948 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic LinuxCNC as a PLC
I am doing the exact thing you are speaking about , instead of classic ladder, I'm writing components. My set up is Rpi3 and a 7i90 board in spi mode. I loaded 2.8 pre on it to get the rpi driver. So far it seems to work well. I can help you get the kernel patched and lcnc loaded if you go that route. I have a second pi/ 7i90 set up that is going on my hardinge lathe , replacing a dual core amd and 5i20, curious to see how it works. Lemme know if I can help.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds