All axis motors make random steps when the spindle is on.

More
30 Jan 2017 21:49 #87005 by alcam
I have a 2020 3-axis mill with LPT interface.
When I turn the spindle on, it runs fine for a couple minutes, but then all three axis motors begin to make random jumps, mostly in the same "positive" direction (Z-axis tends to go up, and Y axis towards the back, for example).

Is there anything I can check in my software settings? It's a Debian dedicated installation with an i7 machine with PCIe LPT board.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2017 23:03 #87015 by PCW
Sounds like electrical noise from the spindle drive getting into the step/dir signals
so probably needs a hardware fix rather than software.

Does the spindle have a VFD? these tend to be bad noise radiators

How are your step drives connected to the LPT port?

Is there any power/spindle wiring next the the step/dir wires?
The following user(s) said Thank You: alcam

More
30 Jan 2017 23:23 #87017 by alcam
The control board with the drivers are in an enclosure like this: ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1J41SLXXXXXXbXXXXq...ont-b-CNC-b-font.jpg

The spindle is wired to the spindle motor port on the back of the box; there are not inputs controlling either speed or direction, just on/off.

The board in the docs is pictured like this: drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TeFG5-eqWZT3l...SlE/view?usp=sharing -- I have not opened the enclosure to look at it yet. The spindle power connector is right next to the three motor connectors.

More
31 Jan 2017 12:09 #87055 by Clive S
Personally I would ground the main frame if it is not already done
The following user(s) said Thank You: alcam

More
31 Jan 2017 17:08 #87074 by alcam
Thanks, that's the first thing I will do now.

Is there a way to tell if the interference is on the signal side (digital inputs get flipped when the computer does not send anything) or on the power side (motor gets triggered when the driver did not send anything)? I don't have an oscilloscope at hand to see what the motors are getting.

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds