Multiple spindle and Tool Changer

More
16 Feb 2017 01:21 - 16 Feb 2017 02:04 #88018 by bevins
I am debating and figuring out the best way to handle the multiple spindles.

The setup is as follow : Biesse Rover 346 with 3 main spindle, 33 vertical drill spindles and 10 horizontal spindles.

Forgetting for now the horizontal spindles, I was thinking of setting the work coordinates to use by taking into account the offset of the selected spindle, move accordingly and then do a touch off through code if that is possible. G10 L20? Does that make sense ?

I want to keep each spindle offsets in a xml file and through the M6 command code use those offsets, moving accordingly and then doing a touch off.

Having 46 spindles with each its own set of offsets, how do we set the working coordinate system ? Is there any other way then the ones I thought about ?

Furthermore, of the three main spindles, only one of them will be used for ATC. The other 2 spindles will constantly have the same tools in them, so no need for tool changing on them. I have defined an algorithm for the tool changing just need to try it out. The main problem is with respect to the offsets of the other spindles ... how do we set the work coordinates for using the other spindles ... through G-Code commands ? Through Python code ? any ideas ?
Last edit: 16 Feb 2017 02:04 by bevins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2017 03:23 - 16 Feb 2017 03:35 #88025 by Todd Zuercher
I'm not sure that you need to set up a separate table for the spindle offsets. Remember Linuxcnc's tool table can have offsets in any of the axis.

If I were doing this machine, I think I would use a machine coordinate system fore each of the 3 main spindles, G54 for spindle #1, G55 for #2 and G56 for number #3. Then for the drills, I think I would simply use the tool offset table to handle the offsets for each of the drills, or maybe a combination of G57 to locate drill #1 then the rest offset with the G57 using the tool table.

The more complicated question might be how to handle the situation of when multiple drills are used simultaneously for gang drilling.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2017 03:35 by Todd Zuercher. Reason: clicked send before I was done typing.

More
16 Feb 2017 03:36 - 16 Feb 2017 03:37 #88027 by bevins

I'm not sure that you need to set up a separate table for the spindle offsets. If I were doing this machine, I think I would use a machine coordinate system fore each of the 3 main spindles, G54 for spindle #1, G55 for #2 and G56 for number #3. Then for the drills, I think I would simply use the tool offset table to handle the offsets for each of the drills

So when it comes time to change tools, change to the coordinates for the spindle 2 or three. Do this before or after the tool change. There has to be some kind of link from spindle 2 to G55 and spindle 3 to G56 and not in the post processor of the cam but rather when selecting the tool. Tool 20 will always be in spindle 2 and tool 21 will always be in spindle 3. Need a way when I get a M6T20 to change coordinates to G55 and select spindle 2. I don't see that link in the tool table.

I am thinking will have to remap anyway because of the axis moves during toolchange can do it there.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2017 03:37 by bevins.

More
16 Feb 2017 03:42 #88028 by bevins

I'm not sure that you need to set up a separate table for the spindle offsets. Remember Linuxcnc's tool table can have offsets in any of the axis.

If I were doing this machine, I think I would use a machine coordinate system fore each of the 3 main spindles, G54 for spindle #1, G55 for #2 and G56 for number #3. Then for the drills, I think I would simply use the tool offset table to handle the offsets for each of the drills, or maybe a combination of G57 to locate drill #1 then the rest offset with the G57 using the tool table.

The more complicated question might be how to handle the situation of when multiple drills are used simultaneously for gang drilling.

Gang drilling I was thinking on setting up different tool gangs (tool 40, drops 6 spindles), and knowing them in the cam just drill the first hole, and in the remap drop the spindles for that tool. Usually only a line of tools are used vertical and horizontal relative to flat plane is used.

More
16 Feb 2017 04:27 #88031 by Todd Zuercher
A lot of machines us a binary command to determine which drills on the drill head are engaged. The cam software I use at work is able to figure out when drill holes are arranged so they can be gang drilled and does it. However for the little I use them I usually code gang drilling by hand.

More
28 Jan 2019 16:53 #125079 by Shu
I have a similar machine running on LinuxCNC, the tool table handles all the XYZ offsets well, no need for an external xml. @bevins can you upload your M6 subroutines? I'm tackling the retrofit of the ATC right now.

cheers,
shu

More
11 Mar 2019 11:07 #128304 by bevins

I have a similar machine running on LinuxCNC, the tool table handles all the XYZ offsets well, no need for an external xml. @bevins can you upload your M6 subroutines? I'm tackling the retrofit of the ATC right now.

cheers,
shu

Hi,

Sorry I missed this. You still need the M6 remap code?

More
11 Mar 2019 11:57 #128309 by Shu
Hi bevins, yes that would be great. :) Could you send me your whole config?
Thanks!
Shu

More
11 Mar 2019 12:08 #128311 by bevins

Thanks!
Shu

Whats your email?

More
11 Mar 2019 12:13 #128312 by bevins

Thanks!
Shu

I am not using subroutines. I am doping it in python.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds