More memory help step rate?

More
21 Feb 2017 23:23 #88471 by JimS
Running Ubuntu 10 on P4 with 512Meg of RAM (later versions don't run well). Seems to work ok and don't have any issues with it. But may want to speed things up a bit as I get some experience with it. Would increasing the RAM help with jitter and step rate? Drive is G540 on parallel port. Step rate isn't too bad but I can get memory pretty cheap so wondered if it was likely to help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2017 02:41 #88475 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic More memory help step rate?
Probably not. See linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...em-requirements.html
My understanding it is a function of hardware rather than memory constraints

More
22 Feb 2017 03:35 #88477 by cncnoob1979
For 20$ I would add the memory. Can we say it will absolutely help, no.

It will help you overall with the controller experience.

IMO I would think it will not help with jitter. Unless you are prepared to build another box, or have exhausted other methods, I would give it a try.

I recently built my Linux box for under 300$ and it screams latency is around 7-10 usec reliably. I'm using mesa hardware so low latency was not a issue, just a nice side effect.

Let me know if you want the hardware specs, if interested in building one.

More
22 Feb 2017 12:42 #88494 by tommylight
Add the memory, it is worth every penny.
It will ot help with jitter or step rate, but the usability will be much much better.
G540 has a divider by 10, so not good, although they are very good drives i do not like that divider.
You can get fast enough with that setup for most cases, just play a bit with timings after you get the base thread right.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds