Homag router

More
29 Mar 2017 03:07 #90477 by Zig
Homag router was created by Zig
I am presently looking at an old Homag router.
It seems to feature 3 phase axis motors with synchro resolvers.

Does LinuxCNC have facility to interface /control this kind of mechanical set up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2017 03:43 #90480 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Homag router
Probably, but you will need to research the servo drives a little more carefully. There are ways to use Linuxcnc to read resolvers, but that can be complicated if the drives are using them. Most servo drives that use resolver feedback also have provisions for sending position feedback to the controller.

I thought most Homags are pretty nice high end machines, with decent controls. Does this one have a dead control or is it just really old? (I actually don't have any experience with the brand, but we have shopped them, but bought competitors machinery.)

More
29 Mar 2017 03:58 #90481 by Zig
Replied by Zig on topic Homag router
The machine is quite old.
Relies on floppy drives, limited in memory and presently suffering from thermal issues.

I have not had a look at the internals of the machine yet but the controller is a rack mounted arrangement of VME like cards.
Hope to see the gear over the next day or two and identify servos and amplifiers.

More
29 Mar 2017 13:54 #90502 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Homag router
Do you know what the old control is? Probably an old NUM control with customized Homag specific front-end software for the PC. Depending on exactly what it has it might be easily up-gradable to something easily networked. With our old SCM with a NUM 1040 control, I was able to stick in an old Junk XP PC and copied over the old software (replacing it's original old Win98 dinosaur front end PC.) Now it can easily interface with our shop network or use flash drives to exchange files.

Had I not been able to revive the old PC's hard-drive, I would have ripped out the old control and installed Linuxcnc. (it took a good thunk on the desk to break loose the heads in the drive the 1st time we tried to start it. The machine had sat in storage a very long time, before we bought it.)

More
30 Mar 2017 03:11 #90542 by Zig
Replied by Zig on topic Homag router
The machine is a Homag Optimat BOF 41K

The controller is an VME based controller running on a 68040 based processor what is known as BAB 40 controller

www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/32634036/...ltec-elektronik-ag/4

I think time to throw away the controller and figure out how to drive the three phase AC servos with synchro resolvers.

More
30 Mar 2017 15:11 #90570 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Homag router
It might be simpler to keep the drives, but if not, then there are other options that can work with the resolvers.
Mesa 7i49 is one option, and the STMBL drivers work with resolvers directly.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds