Latency issues related to nvidia

More
27 Apr 2017 20:38 #92234 by Muz94
Hi,
i've been working on the creation of a 3d printer using linuxcnc for quite a few time now, i've created the base configuration that i will use with the machine once it'll be ready, but now it's time to fix a problem.
I still have a few issues with latency on my pc (an HP XW4300, with pentium4 3.6 ghz, 1GB of RAM, NVIDIA GTX240).
This pc was born with a quadro graphics card in it, but i've never managed to boot a linux distro with it.

Latency looks quite acceptable when in idle or doing non-graphic-intensive tasks (hardly over 40 000, i think that when i reach that limit is still due to the graphic card), but as soon as i run some of the glx tests from the globs package (the first one in particular) i get really unacceptable peeks (sometimes over 300 000 ns). GLXgears for example does not generate peeks like that, but it stillmesses up a little with the jitter.

For this reason after only a few seconds from the start of linuxcnc i get an error message saying "Unexpected realtime delay on task 1. This Message will only display once per session. Run the Latency Test and resolve", and for this reason i'm quite concerned that the machine will eventually stall or do wierd things.

I read that i should switch to vesa drivers in xorg.conf, but doing so will leave me with the magical blinking cursor at boot (only on the graphical terminal, ctrl+alt+1-6 would still open a working terminal).

What can i do to fix this problem?

Thank you very much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2017 12:45 #92262 by andypugh
Did you use these instructions to install the Vesa driver, or something else?
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...oting#Display_Issues

More
28 Apr 2017 16:00 #92280 by Muz94
I did more or less what is written in that article, except for the fact that i already had a xorg.conf file, but editing it as said (by replacing nvidia with vesa) corrupts the graphic shell
is there a way to boot in some kind of verbose mode to see what is going on?

ps: i forgot to mention that i've installed linuxcnc using the standard debian iso provided on linuxcnc website.

More
28 Apr 2017 23:15 #92312 by tommylight
Did you install the nvidia proprietary drivers or just the default that comes with debian iso (noveau driver) ?
In most cases i get better results with noveau, only in one case i got better results with the proprietary drivers and that is with a quadro FX graphic card. On laptops the proprietary driver is unusable with Linuxcnc as it does all kinds of power saving.
All this is regarding RTAI kernel, with RT-preempt the diference is smaller on desktops and laptops, tested on a core i5 and i7 laptop.
The strange thing with RT-preempt and 7i76E card, on a Lenovo T420S i7 i get sometimes SSerial errors with latency of under 40.000 but i never get those errors on Dell i5 with latency of over 300.000. 7i92 never complains on either of them.
Make sure to test both of the drivers before giving up. Also if the board has a AGP or PCI-express slot, you can add any other card.

More
29 Apr 2017 00:32 - 29 Apr 2017 00:39 #92315 by PCW
A couple of things about Ethernet latency:

You wont get sserial errors unless you have a sserial link running

Ethernet latency is not checked by the latency test, it can be checked with ping and chrt or you can use linuxCNCs
tmax values for read tmax to check this (these are in CPU clock cycles), for example:

halcmd show param hm2_7i76e.read.tmax

Will give you the maximum time from read-request to data returned from the 7I76E (in CPU clocks)

Also, for most Intel Ethernet chips, you _must_ disable interrupt coalescing in order to get decent Ethernet latency
Last edit: 29 Apr 2017 00:39 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 May 2017 17:12 #92589 by Muz94
Hi, sorry for the delay.
I think i actually tested both of them, because now i'm using proprietary drivers (i've already made a few experiments to try to fix this problem when i first started to use this pc for linuxcnc, but quite a lot of time have passed since that).

More
05 Mar 2018 18:50 #106968 by Muz94
Hi, i resume this topic to ask another question related to this issue.
Considering that my problems look to be entirely related to the graphics card, i decided to make a test, and i switched from Gmoccapy to Axis.
Well, before i've never been able to run an entire print gcode without experiencing a "following error", now the machine has been running for at least 6-7 hours without any issues.

Considering that the appearence of the 3d preview on the 2 interfaces look identical i used to think that they were exactly the same component. What can cause that behaviour on Gmoccapy?
Do you have any idea of how i could fix those issues so that i can switch back to it?
If the only solution is a new graphic card (it could be worth it) do you have any advice?
Take into account that on glxgears my GT240 doesn't show any issues, but if (for example) i run the first test in the "globs" package i get a spike of 300'000+ on the base thread, so if you have any suggestion for a working graphics card, it would be REALLY appreciated if you could do that test too with it.

Thank you!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds