MIDI Start-Up Errors

More
01 May 2017 18:14 #92472 by Macinpa
MIDI Start-Up Errors was created by Macinpa
Am a novice with Linux CNC, and have a XYZA mill with Limit Switches configured at end of travel on axes X, Y, & Z. Axis A is not configured with any Limit Switch. When use Ver 2.6, in Axis, I home all axes, then jog to Touch Off position, and try to assign G54 offsets, but program prevents me & issues error message "Can't issue MIDI command when not homed".

In Ver 2.7, I Hit F1 to clear any E-Stops, then F2 to toggle Machine On, and the error message "Joint 2 on Limit Switch Error" appears locking me out from the program completely.

Can anyone suggest how to diagnose & fix what appears to be wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2017 20:52 #92481 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic MIDI Start-Up Errors
Mak sure your homing offset moves your axis off the limit switch in the homing offsets. You have a shared limit switch so when it comes out of home, the limit switch is still enabled. Anyway, that is what I found on my shared switch.

More
01 May 2017 21:57 #92484 by Macinpa
Replied by Macinpa on topic MIDI Start-Up Errors
Thx for the reply rodw, but I do not believe that is the cause of my problems. Should've clarified my desktop mill is driven by a Gecko 540 and communication to/from PC is via parallel port. The three limit switches use separate par-port pins #11, 12, & 13. And all switches are configured to 1) trip the switch then 2) back off to open the switch and finally 3) back off further another 0.1" equal to homing offset. Plus when I ran the homing sequence in Ver 2.6, all axes responded flawlessly & I can see daylight between switch and carriage when final home position was reached.

My Gecko is equipped with an external (hard) E-Stop. I used BigJohn's E-Stop latch routine to accommodate both the soft E-Stop in LinuxCNC & the hard E-Stop on my Gecko.

Not being a HAL expert, is there someone out there I can send my .int & .hal files plus my par_port pin configuration to - who can help me further troubleshoot the problems? I have spent numerous days trying to get my system running - looking thru many pages of LinuxCNC and Wiki documentation and forum threads and still am unable to configure my machine to to load its first G-Code file.

More
04 May 2017 12:25 #92633 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic MIDI Start-Up Errors
The initial problem with A not homing would be solved by setting the A axis to HOME_SEQU|ENCE 0 and setting the HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY to 0

Your current problem sounds like one of the pins needs to be inverted, or maybe a wire is broken.

If you are using Axis, then go to Machine->Show HAL Config. Then select the "Watch" tab and add home-limit-X / Y / Z signals. Then poke the switches to see if they change state. And check what that state is.

I can't remember if the version you are using uses the new or old LED indicator colours. It used to be dark-red for False / off / 0 and Yellow for True / On / 1. Which wasn't the least ambiguous of choices.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds