Custom numbers on Digital Caliper readout

More
05 Jun 2017 17:59 - 09 Jun 2017 18:16 #94113 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com
Good Morning all,
I need help with building a system with respect to digital readouts and need inputs.
Objective: To display two digital readouts, one with linear dimension and the other with a custom number for the linear dimension.
Any suggestions?

I appreciate all of your inputs.
Thanks,
Last edit: 09 Jun 2017 18:16 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2017 12:30 #94148 by andypugh
This is not really a LinuxCNC question, I suspect?

But: Does the caliper have a data output? Or are you customising the caliper itself?

Maybe glue one of these onto the caliper and connect the data cable?
www.sparkfun.com/products/12923

More
07 Jun 2017 12:13 - 08 Jun 2017 20:02 #94224 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com
Andy,
Thank you for the reply.

Here is the complete information about what I was trying to do.

Objective: To display a preset digital readout (Display2) corresponding to the measured dimension on the Vernier calipers (Display1). The digital readout display shall be added on the calipers, as an attachment and shall utilize the calipers battery. Following is the sample data of calipers measurements and required preset output.

The data relation between Display1 and Display2 or let's say input and output is not linear. Therefore, the only way to solve this task is through a constant data table. Since the linear encoders may have some jitter, values are not always stable on the last digit. Therefore, I implemented a hysteresis table concept, so that Display2 will change between predefined values (e.g. Dispaly2 = 23 if 0.273<Display1< 0.301 and Display2 = 24 if 0.301<Display1>0.328 and Display2 = 25 if 0.328<Display1>0.375).

Please help if you have any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,
Last edit: 08 Jun 2017 20:02 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com.

More
07 Jun 2017 13:14 #94227 by andypugh
I think that running off the caliper battery might be a problem, certainly if you were going to use an off-the-shelf board like an Arduino. Running on 1.55V limits your choice too.

More
07 Jun 2017 13:17 #94229 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com
Would Sparkfun (www.sparkfun.com/products/12923) product still work for the above scenario in obtaining constant preset data with respect to the callipers measurements? and, would add an external battery possible?

More
07 Jun 2017 14:07 #94232 by andypugh
The Microview is a microcontroller, so it can do anything you program it to.

Your actual problem is trivial, any basic computing device can do it. What you need to do is to find a combination of display and generic computing device that can work together and read the output from the data port.

I am wondering if a dial caliper with coloured sectors on the dial might be easier.

More
07 Jun 2017 14:43 #94233 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com
Andy,

Thank you for the reply. I will check out the micro view. I hope it works.

The reason we want a display2 that is attached to the callipers was, we made a 0.375" thick high precision block with divisions marked as shown in coloumn1. We are trying to install this block on a high-pressure control valve for precise movement. For each division movement, instead of showing the dimension on the block/how long it moved, we want to show a preset number on the display2 such as 1, 2,3, till 25. I appreciate if you can advise any generic computing device that can be hooked to digital callipers. Thanks again.

More
07 Jun 2017 15:11 #94235 by andypugh
Some interesting projects here:
hackaday.com/tag/digital-calipers/

More
07 Jun 2017 15:24 #94236 by LOKESWARPANCHALA@gmail.com

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds